Sunday, February 15, 2009

Apple Pie in a Jar

At our old house, we had 2 apple trees in our backyard. Every 2-3 years, we would get a bumper crop of apples. We would give 5 gallon bucket fulls away to anyone who wanted them, and still we had more apples than we knew what to do with. I (like my sister) can not stand to see food go to waste, so I was thrilled when my mom shared this recipe with me (I think she got it from the newspaper, originally). I probably made 50 quarts of Apple Pie in a Jar last year. And I am so glad I did. It is phenomenal! You can use it to make apple crisp and apple cobbler! You can heat them up and put them on ice cream! Heck, you can even eat them straight out of the jar! And of course you can use them for apple pie.

I am embarrassed to admit that I have not yet used them in apple pie.

I will be doing that soon. And I will post the recipe here. Because that is what I do. I make pie, and I post the recipe here.

Our new house does not have an apple tree in the backyard. I want to plant one. Until then, I will be visiting an orchard every year so I can get enough apples to make lots and lots of apple pie in a jar. It is sooooooo good!

Ingredients:
4 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup corn starch
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp salt
10 cups water (I actually buy distilled water to make this, because I do not like the idea of city chlorinated-tasting water sitting in my apples)
3 Tbls lemon juice
enough peeled, sliced, cored apples to fill 7 quart-sized, glass jars

Directions:
1. Peel, core, and slice the apples. I use this nifty contraption I found at Target for $12. This is the best $12 I have ever spent!!

Here it is! It just attaches to your counter.

Stick the apple on the end

Turn the crank

The peel comes right off in a nice long rope, and the core is cut out of the middle!

You get this adorable apple slinky! Isn't it cute? Cut it in half right down the middle and you have perfect apple slices every time!

(I am telling you, the absolute best thing I have ever bought for $12!!!)

2. Fill your 7 quart jars tightly with apples. Really wedge them in there! The more the merrier!

(umm, actually the one in this picture is really too full. The apples should really not come above the bottom ring on the neck of the jar)

3. Mix everything else (except lemon juice) in a big stock pot and cook it until it is thick and bubbly, stirring often. This takes awhile. It won't be super thick, but it will be thicker than water. Add the lemon juice at the very end.

4. Pour the syrup over the apples in the jar, filling the jar to just over the bottom ring on the neck of the jar. Put on canning lids and rings.

5. Boil in a hot water bath for 20 minutes (click here for great canning directions if you have no idea what I am talking about).

6. Set out overnight to cool and then check lids to ensure that they sealed.


The Verdict:
I am telling you, these apples are amazing! People always tell me that my apple crisps are the best apple crisps they have ever had. It's not me, it's these apples! And my favorite part is that it seriously takes me like 3 minutes to whip up an apple crisp (plus baking time, but that doesn't really count, because I'm not doing anything).

No comments:

Post a Comment