Sunday, February 15, 2009

Cleaning Out the Fridge Quiche Pie

I decided to make this pie because we had a lot of random produce in the refrigerator that was on the verge of going bad. I HATE wasting period, but especially wasting any kind of produce. And, since we always have eggs in the house, quiche sounded like a great option. All of the measurements in this pie are approximate and can be altered based on your likes and what is available to you. It is a very adaptable recipe, and you will likely learn that most of my recipes are. I am not as good as my sister about using exact measurements. I will try my best to always give a rough estimation of what I used, so that the recipe is able to be duplicated. Enjoy!





Ingredients
1 Easy Peasy Pie Crust
1-2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 med. potato, shredded
1 sm. onion, diced
1/2 c. green pepper, chopped
2 small jalapenos, seeded & chopped
1/4 c. carrot, shredded
1/2 c. tomato, diced
4 eggs
1/2 c. milk
1/2 c. cheese, shredded
salt
pepper
curry powder


Directions
1. Make 1 Easy Peasy Pie Crust. Bake the pie crust at 450 for about 10 minutes. The crust will not be completely baked at this point, but that is okay because it will be going back in the oven.


2. Reduce the heat to 350.


3. Heat olive oil in the skillet. Add the potato, onion, peppers, and carrots. Saute these for a couple minutes. Add the diced tomato. Continue to saute for a couple more minutes, adding the salt, pepper, and curry powder to taste. All the vegetable amounts are approximations, so feel free to guess for yourself or substitute whatever you have. Also, I went a little heavy on the curry powder unintentionally, and I would probably use less next time. You could also try using a different spice for something different.


4. Put the vegetable saute mixture into the partially baked pie crust.
5. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs. Then add the milk and cheese. (The milk and cheese amounts are also approximations. I just eyeballed it. Also, I used colby cheese because that is what was in the fridge, but I don't see why you couldn't use whatever kind you wanted.)
6. Mix the eggs, milk, and cheese all together.

7. Pour the egg mixture over the top of the vegetable mixture in the pie crust.
8. Bake for around 40 minutes at 350 (or until the cheese is golden brown).
9. Let the quiche cool for about 5 minutes before cutting.
10. Enjoy!


The Verdict
I thought it was very tasty, as did my mom. My dad wasn't a huge fan, but he doesn't really like quiche in general, and it was meatless so that always makes it a harder sell to him. I would go a little easier on the curry next time and add a little more pepper. I would definitely make it again.

1 comment:

  1. Did you finally use those jalapenos that we left??? :-) I wish I had a bunch of stuff in my fridge that was about to go bad so I could make cleaning out the fridge quiche pie! It looks really good!! Although, I will likely get some flack from the meat loving male in my household as well!

    ReplyDelete