Monday, February 23, 2009

Comfy Pie

This pie makes me feel all warm and comfy inside. This why I call it Comfy Pie. I want to curl up under a blanket, in front of the fireplace, with a piece of this pie and just relax.

Ingredients:
1 Tbls butter
Half an onion-chopped
2 carrots-peeled and chopped
2 ribs of celery-chopped
2 potatoes-peeled and chopped
1 tomato-diced
1/2 pound stew meat (I used some canned meat my mom gave me)
1 can beef broth (reduced sodium if you can find it)
3 Tbls corn starch
Basil, salt, and pepper to taste
Directions:
1. Make 2 Home, Sweet (Potato), Home pie crusts (this recipe makes two). Put one in your pie pan. Save the other to top your Comfy Pie.
2. If your meat is not already cooked, cook it in a large skillet. Set it aside.
3. Put butter in the same large skillet and turn stove to medium heat. Chop onion and add to the skillet as you chop. Chop carrots, celery, and potatoes. Add them to the skillet as you chop.
4. Add Basil, Salt and Pepper to taste. Saute until vegetables start to get tender. Add tomato and beef. Heat through.
5. Mix beef broth and corn starch with a wire whisk.
6. Add the beef broth to the beef mixture and heat until broth is thickened.
7. Pour beef mixture into waiting pie crust. Top with remaining pie crust. Don't forget to carve a design on your top pie crust to vent the pie!
8. Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes or until the pie crust is browned.
9. Let cool for a few minutes and ENJOY!
The Verdict:
This pie was everything I envisioned it to be. I wanted something comforting, delicious, and nutritious but was also very easy to make. This pie has it all!
You could definitely add other vegetables to the stew mixture. I actually meant to add some cabbage and minced garlic, but I forgot. I think the garlic especially would make this pie even better!

No comments:

Post a Comment