Friday, February 13, 2009

Everyday Can Be Valentine's Day Pie

I was actually going to name this pie "We have 2 Kids so We Can't Go Out for Valentine's Day" pie, but an amazing thing happened on Tuesday! We discovered that the girls' day care was having a fundraiser and had decided to offer baby-sitting services on Valentine's Day in exchange for a free will donation. Ummmm, sign us up!!!! :-) Jim and I are off to eat sushi tomorrow night, together--just the two of us! I am so excited!

I still wanted to make this pie, and when I told my biggest little critic (my eldest daughter) about it, she got really excited. So, this pie will be called Everyday Can Be Valentine's Day pie. Happy Valentine's Day!!!!

Ingredients:
8 ounces of semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup water, divided
2 Tbls butter
2 Tbls Grenadine
3 egg yolks
2 Tbls sugar
2 cups heavy whipping cream

Directions:
1. Make 1 Easy Peasy Pie Crust. Put it in your pie pan, and use a fork to prick several holes in the bottom and sides (my wise Mom tells me if you don't do this, the crust will bubble and look ugly). Bake at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes (mine went for 15) or until slightly browned. Cool.

2. In a cold, refrigerated, metal mixing bowl (apparently, it is very important that you follow those directions exactly--ask me how I know that), dump in the cream. Mix with an electric hand mixer until the cream gets stiff and forms peaks. (This took an incredibly long time. I thought the motor in my mixer was going to die. My arm got tired. Using an ELECTRIC mixer! Next time I might buy whipped cream already made...or cool whip.) It will look something like this...


3. Scoop out about 3/4 cup and set aside. You will put this on the top of the pie once the mousse is set.

4. In the microwavable glass dish, place butter, chocolate chips, water and grenadine. Heat for 1 minute, stir. Repeat until chocolate is melted. Cool for 10 minutes.


5. In a small saucepan, whisk egg yolks (thank you, dear husband, for separating my eggs for me...I really should learn to do that someday), sugar, and remaining water. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches 160 degrees (Ok, I really didn't do that. I mixed it until it got bubbly and looked hot!). Remove from heat and whisk in chocolate mixture.


6. Put saucepan into the freezer for 5 minutes. Take it out. Whisk it around. Put it back in the freezer for 5 more minutes. Take it out. Whisk it around. Repeat until the chocolate is cool (mine was good after 10 minutes).

7. Fold in whipped cream.

8. Pour into your waiting pie shell and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.


9. Top with remaining whipped cream.



The Verdict:
I will let you know tomorrow after we devour this (because I have no doubt that we are going to devour this). I wish every day was Valentine's Day.

02/14/2009 UPDATE:
We had pie for lunch. Oh yes we did! And I do mean "for lunch"--as in that is all we had! It seemed like a very Valentiney thing to do. :-) My biggest little critic gave it a thumbs up. This is very good pie.
The one thing that I think I would try next time is to put in 1/4 cup of grenadine instead of the 1/4 cup water when you melt the chocolate. The cherry flavor did not come through as much as I would have liked. I also think that you can easily switch this mousse up and use milk chocolate chips, butterscotch pieces, or white chocolate chips instead. I think I will have to try all of those. :-)

1 comment:

  1. I think that I would suggest adding a cherry on top of each piece of pie...it would add a little color and some bonus cherry flavor...but it looks good!

    ReplyDelete