Monday, February 23, 2009

Home, Sweet (Potato), Home Pie Crust

I've been wanting to try to make a new pie crust. I've heard of pies using a potato pie crust (although I have never made one), and I thought that if a pie crust can be made out of potatoes, surely one can be made out of sweet potatoes too. Sweet potatoes are super good for you, and my family actually likes them better than regular potatoes, so I decided to give it a shot!!

I did some research (what did we ever do before the Internet???) and found a potato pie crust recipe I used as my base.

Ingredients:
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbls baking powder
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup cold, mashed sweet potatoes (about 1 large sweet potato)
1 Tbls honey
3 Tbls cold milk

Directions:
1. Peel and cut sweet potato into wedges.
2. Place potato wedges into sauce pan and cover them with cold water.
3. Cook the potatoes until they are tender, around 15 minutes. Drain water. Mash the potatoes and add the honey.
4. Refrigerate until cold.
5. In the food processor, add flour, salt, and baking powder. Pulse to combine. Add in the shortening. Pulse to combine.
6. Dump in the cold sweet potatoes. Mix well. While mixing, slowly add the milk until the pie crust forms a ball and clumps together.
7. Roll out just like for Easy Peasy Pie Crust. This recipe makes 2 pie crusts.
The Verdict:
This pie crust was very good! It had an almost 'biscuit-like' texture to it. It was less crispy/flaky than Easy Peasy Pie Crust, but had a more hearty/earthy flavour and texture. I think it would be great for "Pie for Dinner" recipes like pot pies. In fact, I used it for this one.
Did I mention it uses vegetables? In pie crust!! Bonus! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment