Sunday, February 22, 2009

Just For Daddy Pie

This pie was inspired by the fact that my poor daddy has to eat the food that I cook for him. Now, I am not a bad cook, but I do cook considerably healthier (and more meatless) than my dad would typically prefer. He is definitely a farmer and enjoys every stereotypically down-home food--eggs and bacon/sausage for breakfast daily, very meat and potatoes. I, however, much prefer to branch out in my diet using different spices and seasonings, trying interesting vegetables or new ways to prepare them. So, since my dad eats my culinary creations each week, even though he would rather have meatloaf and mashed potatoes, I decided to make him this peach pie...but the rest of us got to eat it, too. So, thanks dad for not banning me from your kitchen!


Ingredients
1 Easy Peasy Pie Crust
Filling:
1 quart homemade canned peaches (or 2-1lb. cans of sliced peaches)
3 Tbsp. flour
1/4 tsp. nutmeg (or a little more if you so desire)
1/2 c. brown sugar
Topping:
3/4 c. flour
1/3 c. brown sugar
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
6 Tbsp. butter

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 400F.

2. Drain canned peaches.

3. In a bowl, mix together peaches, 3 Tbsp. flour, nutmeg, and 1/2 c. brown sugar.

4. Stir ingredients together well.
5. Pour evenly into prepared pie crust.
6. Combine 3/4 c. flour, 1/3 c. brown sugar, and cinnamon.
7. Cut in butter until crumbly.
8. Spread crumbly topping evenly over peach mixture.
9. Bake pie for about 45 minutes at 400F. The peach mixture will begin to bubble up under the topping when it is done.

The Verdict
Like the others, this pie was excellent. I really liked using the brown sugar rather than using white sugar, which most recipes use. This gave the pie a little bit different flavor and a more appealing color, too. The consistency was very good, and I got a thumbs up from all the samplers. AND, Dad did really enjoy the pie, and he said he was especially happy with the way the topping turned out. I have a feeling this one may be requested again soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment