Sunday, February 15, 2009

Single and I'm Not Really Looking Pie

I made this pie for Valentine's Day. I have never been a fan of Valentine's Day. (I really think it is just a conspiracy amongst the card and chocolate companies and the florists.) But, since I am not in a relationship right now and am not really looking to be in one in the near future, I thought this was an appropriately named pie for a "holiday" that focuses on romantic relationships. Plus, this recipe is SUPER easy and delicious!


Ingredients
1 Easy Peasy Pie Crust
1 box of instant chocolate pudding
1-3/4 cup milk
2/3 package of oreos
2/3 container of Cool Whip
caramel topping


Directions
1. Make 1 Easy Peasy Pie Crust.


2. Bake the pie crust at 400 for about 15 minutes (or until golden brown). Be sure to prick holes in the crust with a fork to prevent it from bubbling up.


3. Set the crust aside until it is completely cooled.


4. Crush about one and half rows of a package of oreos and put in a medium size mixing bowl. (I really don't know exactly how many oreos I used. I just eyeballed it until it looked good.) I crushed them using a plastic zipper baggie and a rolling pin, but a food processor would be a lot faster. (I was too lazy to wash it from making the pie crust.)
5. Add 1 package of instant chocolate pudding mix to the crushed oreos. I used sugar free but that is not necessary.
6. Add 1-3/4 cup milk to the pudding mix and oreos.
7. Mix well.
8. Add two large spoonfuls of Cool Whip to the mixture.
9. Mix in the Cool Whip.
10. Pour the mixture into your cooled pie crust.
11. Cover the pudding mixture with a thing layer of Cool Whip.
12. Crush 3 more oreos and sprinkle them on the top of the pie. 13. Drizzle caramel topping over the top of the oreos.
14. Chill for at least an hour.


15. Enjoy!


The Verdict
This pie was incredibly easy and tasted great. It could easily be modified with different toppings or different flavors of pudding. Also, a homemade real whipped chocolate mousse would probably make it taste much better, but that was sacrificed for simplicity here. In the future, I would probably use more oreos in the pudding mixture and may add less Cool Whip to give it a little heavier texture. I would also probably add a bit more caramel topping on the top. It looked like a lot when I did it, but after it chilled in the refrigerator for the afternoon, it could have used a little more. Overall, the pie was delicious and got a thumbs up from everyone who sampled it.

1 comment:

  1. I am going to make Single and Not Really Looking pie for your neices--often. Especially when they are teenagers. Here's hoping the name will rub off!!

    ReplyDelete