Thursday, March 12, 2009

Changing the World Pie

I decided to make a cheesecake for my friend Laura when I went down to visit her for a few days this week. I knew that she liked cheesecake (who doesn't?!?!), and since Laura and I are fully intending to change the world, I thought this was an appropriately named pie!


Ingredients
1 Make it Snappy Crust (substituting graham crackers for gingersnaps and vanilla yogurt for plain)
1-8oz. package of cream cheese, softened
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. milk
Dash of salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
1/4 c. raspberry jam
2 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 c. sour cream (I used reduced fat)



Directions
1. Make 1 Make it Snappy Crust using graham crackers and vanilla yogurt.


2. Lightly spray the pie tin with cooking spray, and then press it evenly into the pie tin/pan.


3. In a mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese until fluffy.
4. Gradually add in the lemon juice, 1/2 c. sugar, milk, salt, and 1/2 tsp. vanilla.
5. Beat until mixed well.
6. Beat in eggs one at a time.
7. Place 1/4 c. raspberry jam in small saucepan.
8. Stir over medium heat until melted.
9. Pour half of the filling into the crust.
10. Make lines of raspberry over filling.
11. Pour in the rest of the filling.

12. Make more lines of raspberry.
13. Using a butter knife, carefully marble the raspberry throughout the filling.
14. Bake at 325 for 35-40 minutes, or until filling is set.


15. Meanwhile, in a small mixing bowl, combine sour cream, 2 Tbsp. sugar, and 1/2 tsp. vanilla.
16. Mix well.
17. Pour sour cream mixture over cheesecake.
18. Return to oven for 10 minutes.


19. Chill cheesecake for at least 5 hours. (I chilled it overnight.)
The Verdict
This. Was. AMAZING. It had the perfect consistency. It wasn't too rich, but it wasn't too light either. It had an excellent raspberry flavor. However, the raspberry jam did not marble through the cheesecake like I had hoped it would. As you can see in the picture below, it actually just sunk to the bottom. So, in the future, I think I would just line the bottom of the crust with raspberry before pouring in the filling, or I would put the raspberry mixture over the top before baking, hoping that it would kind of sink into the cheesecake as it baked. It was a very easy cheesecake recipe, and I would gladly make it again. The crust was really good, too. It was more soft than it was crispy and ended up being quite thick, but I really enjoyed it. Laura was quite the fan of the cheesecake, too!

2 comments:

  1. Changing the World Pie definitely looks amazing! I am a big fan of cheesecake, so I will definitely be trying this recipe out! I think I will try it with my homemade strawberry jam instead of the raspberry!

    PS Speaking of chaning the world, I started reading "Children of Hope" (the book I got at the used book store in TN), and it is just destroying my heart! I can't believe what these children are living through! It just breaks my heart. I'm going to have a figure out a way to help African orphans (I have a couple ideas!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this cheesecake for my neighbor. It looks really good! I tried to put the raspberry jam over the top of the cheesecake, but it sunk right to the bottom. Next time, I will definitely put the jam on the bottom and then add the cheesecake mixture. That way I can make sure that it is evenly dispersed.

    ReplyDelete