Thursday, March 19, 2009

Critter and Varmint Pie

To begin, Critter and Varmint are our cats. My dad named them shortly after we got them as kittens almost five years ago. So, as I was dreaming up pie recipes, the idea of a tuna pot pie appealed to me, and I figured, as it would contain tuna, it would also be quite appetizing to Critter and Varmint. However, my mom, ever the veterinary assistant, would not allow them to sample the pie. Nonetheless, I named the pie for them.
I was unable to take a recent picture of Critter and Varmint because I could not get them to pose within ten feet of each other in order to get a picture...typical cats. This is a picture when they were just kittens. They are now bigger, fatter, and more ornery. Anyway, here is the pie!

Ingredients
2 Easy Peasy Pie Crusts + 1 Tbsp. onion powder
1 Can condensed cream of mushroom soup
2 cans tuna, drained
2 c. frozen mixed vegetables
pepper, to taste
garlic powder, to taste
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350F.

2. Make 2 Easy Peasy Pie Crusts mixing in 1 Tbsp. onion powder.

3. Place frozen mixed veggies in microwave safe dish with a few Tbsp. of water. Cook on high for 2-3 minutes, or until mostly thawed.
4. To vegetables add tuna, soup, pepper, and garlic powder.
5. Stir mixture together.
6. Pour into prepared pie crust.
7. Cover with top crust, and make vents.
8. Bake at 350F for 45-50 minutes, or until crust begins to turn golden brown.
The Verdict
This pie turned out just how I expected. It was everything a pot pie should be--creamy goodness baked into a light flaky crust. I really liked the addition of the onion powder to the crust mixture. It gave it more of a dinner rather than dessert flavor. I added a bit too much pepper to the creamy filling, but it was still really good. I am sure that Critter and Varmint would have loved to sample it, but not this time...

1 comment:

  1. This pie sounds very yummy to me! I think I might try it with Home, Sweet (Potato), Home pie crust to see how that is! :-)

    ReplyDelete