Monday, March 2, 2009

Even My Meat-Adoring Husband Liked This Pie

Lately, I've been thinking that we don't eat enough vegetables. I've been half-heartedly wanting to change that. Not that we want to become vegetarians or anything. I love meat just as much as the next person (Did I mention I grew up on a farm? Hogs and sheep. We ate a lot of meat.). But, I would like to try to cook vegetarian one or two nights a week and see how it goes.

I recently found a book called The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook at a used book store. I've heard/read good things about this cookbook, like it's recipes are simple, nutritious, and delicious (or so I read). I bought the book. Now I was committed. Oh and don't let the title fool you. It's great for everyone, not just pregnant and/or nursing mothers (neither of which I currently am).

I gingerly told my husband about my purchase and asked him if it was OK if I tried a couple vegetarian recipes a week out of my new cookbook. He responded with an enthusiastic "Absolutely!" I had buy-in!! :-)

As I was flipping through the recipes, there were several quiche recipes. I got really excited because as you all know, I am all about making pie!!

Tonight I made one called Yogurt-Spinach Quiche. That is its real name in the book. I thought that its real name was pretty boring, so I renamed it Even My Meat-Adoring Husband Liked This Pie. Because he did, he really, really did!

Ingredients:
2 tsp olive oil
1 onion-minced
2 cups minced spinach (fresh or frozen)
2 eggs
1 cup plain yogurt
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup shredded cheese (cheddar or monterey jack)
2 Tbls grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Make Easy Peasy Pie Crust. Put it in your pie pan and prick holed in the crust with a fork several times. Bake pie shell for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.

2. Warm oil in skillet. Add onion and saute for 10 minutes or so until soft.


3. Stir in spinach. Cover and steam about 3 minutes or until spinach is wilted.


4. Remove cover and cook another minute or two to let water evaporate.


5. In mixing bowl, beat eggs, yogurt, sea salt, and nutmeg together.

6. Fold in cooked spinach and cheeses.


7. Pour into prepared pie crust. Bake 40 minutes or until the center is set.


8. Wait 10 minutes before slicing.


The Verdict:
This pie's new improved name says it all! My husband really liked this pie, and I did too. My biggest little critic was not so much a fan, but she gave it a good try. I think it is one of those new foods that it was just a little too 'different' that she didn't like it the first time she tried it. I bet she would like it better the second time around. I chose this pie because the author said that this recipe was her children's favorite. I think it could easily become a favorite around here too!
PS I have decided that nutmeg and eggs are the most delicious combination!! Yummmm! Oh, and I am going to try using yogurt in other quiches too, because it was delicious (and I have like 2/3 of a container of plain yogurt leftover that I have to figure out what to do with!)!

5 comments:

  1. That does look really good! Maybe I will have to try it here sometime when dad is away...because I am fairly confident he would not be a fan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also wanted to suggest that for your leftover yogurt you could make tuna salad or chicken salad. All you do is substitute the yogurt for the mayo...it tastes really good and is WAY healthier!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will definitely try yogurt in my tuna salad! That is a great idea! In fact, I'm going to have that for lunch tomorrow! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. MY meat-adoring husband liked this recipe too! We made it last night, and to his surprise, he liked it (as did Malachi)! He even told me I could make it again! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay, Jill! I am so glad that you guys enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete