Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Good Friends are Worth Driving Hours to Deliver Pie

I was going to visit some friends the other day, and I wanted to take a pie to them. While I was in college, I saw them multiple times a week, and now that I am no longer in college, I only see them once in a good while. So, on my day off this week, I opted to make the drive to see them and their two boys and hand-deliver this pie to them!


Ingredients
2 Easy Peasy Pie Crusts
1 can peach slices, drained
2 c. blueberries, fresh or frozen
1/3 c. white sugar
1/3 c. brown sugar
3 Tbsp. flour
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
Directions 1. Preheat oven to 400F.


2. Make 2 Easy Peasy Pie Crusts. Press one into a 9-inch pie pan, and set the other crust aside.


3. In mixing bowl, combine peaches, blueberries, both sugars, flour, and nutmeg.
4. Stir the mixture well.
5. Pour mixture into prepared pie crust. Top pie with a couple dots of butter.
6. Roll out other crust.


7. Use pastry cutter (or pizza cutter) to cut the rolled out crust into strips about 1/2 in. to 3/4 in. wide.
8. Twist each strip to form a strip.
9. Place strips across the pie in one direction.
10. Twist strips and place them across the pie opposite the others, forming a diamond pattern.


11. Roll bottom crust up over the top of the strips and flute the edges of the pie crust.
12. Bake at 400F for about 50 minutes.


The Verdict
This pie tasted great. I got a thumbs up from my friends, and from their 2-1/2 year old son, Malachi. Although, I think Malachi may have gotten more pie on his face and hands than made it into his mouth. One thing I may change about the pie would be to either substitute corn starch for the flour or to use a little more flour. The pie turned out a bit runny, so I would like to thicken it up a bit more. I might also try to make the strips for the lattice top a little narrower in the future. I am sure I will get to try those changes because this is definitely a pie I will be making again!

2 comments:

  1. That is one beautiful pie!!! I love the lattice!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this pie again and used 3 Tbsp. of corn starch instead of flour. It turned out much better! It was not runny at all, and the flavor was excellent!

    ReplyDelete