Sunday, March 1, 2009

I Hope There Are Banana Trees in Heaven Pie

Bananas, bananas, everywhere! So, there is a story behind this pie. The Kroger ad comes out on Thursdays, and I often look at it while I am at work to see if there is anything on sale that looks good. Well, I love fruit, and bananas were on sale this week for $0.39 a pound. So, I decided on my way home from work on Friday I would stop at Kroger and pick up a couple bunches for my parents and I. Apparently, my mom had the same idea as she stopped at Kroger on her way home from work. And my dad somehow found himself at the grocery store also. Thus, we ended up with 4 large bunches of bananas...and a decision to make banana cream pie. I had been planning to make one at some point anyway because I knew it was the favorite of my pastor here.
All those bananas! (I threw in my banana peel from breakfast Saturday morning to give an accurate representation of just how many bananas there were.)

Ingredients
3/4 c. sugar
3 Tbsp. corn starch
1/4 tsp. salt
2 c. milk
3 eggs, separated
2 Tbsp. butter
1 tsp. vanilla
2-3 bananas, sliced
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
6 Tbsp. sugar


6. Separate eggs. Set the egg whites aside.
7. Slightly beat egg yolks.
8. Stir a little of the hot milk mixture into the egg yolks.
9. Return immediately to the hot mixture.
10. Continue to cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick and bubbly. It should turn into a pudding-like mixture.
11. Remove from heat and add 2 Tbsp. butter and 1 tsp. vanilla.

12. Slice bananas into cooled pie shell.
13. Top with pudding mixture.
14. To make the meringue topping, add the cream of tartar and 1/2 tsp. vanilla to the egg whites. Beat until soft peaks form.
15. Gradually add 6 Tbsp. of sugar.
16. Beat the mixture...
17. ...and beat it...
18. ...and beat it until stiff and glossy peaks form and all the sugar is dissolved.
18. Place spoonfuls close together atop the pudding mixture.
19. Spread the meringue topping evenly and all the way to the edge of the pie.
20. Bake at 350F for 12-15 minutes.
21. Allow to cool completely.

The Verdict
This pie took a lot more work than I had initially planned. This was my first attempt at a homemade cream pie and meringue. The pie tasted good, but it was not attractive after it cooled. I was glad that my mom was here to help me because I did not have enough hands to constantly stir the pudding mixture and beat the meringue long enough. The meringue shrunk quite a bit after it was baked, which I did not know would happen (My mom informed me later that it typically does). I did find some suggestions on how to prevent your meringue from shrinking here. The pie was a bit runny, too, which was likely as a result of me not cooking the pudding mixture long enough. Overall, this pie was not one of my better attempts, but I still hope there are banana trees in Heaven, even if I don't make banana cream pie out of them!

3 comments:

  1. I deleted the other two junk posts...somebody in Asia spamming or something dumb. I also set up comment moderation to prevent it in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you give it away to Paster Ken? Maybe you will have to make him another one (if you didn't), since it only used 3 bananas. You'll have to bake 10 more pies to use up all those bananas!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did give Pastor Ken the pie. I haven't heard what he thought yet, but I will be sure to ask him on Wednesday or Sunday when I see him.

    ReplyDelete