Sunday, March 29, 2009

Indoor Camping Pie

I had been wanting to do a pie that was super simple and used minimal ingredients, but still tasted great. So, living in Indiana, I am anxious for spring and summer to arrive and everything that this means, including enjoying the gorgeous weather. Some of my favorite memories as a child were when we would get together with family friends for a "weenie roast" multiple times during the summer. It was really less than exciting looking back at it, but I loved roasting hot dogs over the fire and then perfectly browning my marshmallow for a delicious ooey, gooey s'more. Thus, this pie is an attempt at an indoor s'more while we wait for weather warm enough to make real ones!


Ingredients
2 c. graham cracker crumbs (give or take)
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
1/4 c. vanilla yogurt
1 pkg. chocolate pudding mix
1-3/4 c. milk
1-7oz. jar marshmallow creme
Directions 1. Place graham crackers in food processor and crush.
2. Reserve some crumbs for topping of pie.


3. In a small mixing bowl combine remaining graham cracker crumbs with brown sugar and vanilla yogurt. (I added the yogurt little by little until I got the right consistency, so my measured amount is approximate.)
4. Mix until a sticky consistency.
5. Press graham cracker mixture into pie plate.
6. Bake crust for 5-7 minutes at 350F. Then, remove and let cool.


7. In another mixing bowl, whisk together pudding mix and milk.
8. Whisk the pudding until all the lumps are gone.
9. Pour into prepared crust.
10. Refrigerate for about one hour.


11. Spread marshmallow creme evenly over the top of the pudding. (The marshmallow creme is sticky and does not spread well, so I kind of dolloped it onto the top and just connected them all.)
12. Pour remaining graham cracker crumbs over the top.
The Verdict
Well, I took this pie to work with me, and everyone enjoyed it. However, it was not exactly what I had envisioned. It turned out to be really runny, as evidenced by the picture below. The flavor was good, though not exactly like a s'more. Also, I am not sure what this was from, but there was a red liquid that seemed to seep from the pie, which I found around one side of the crust when I pulled it out of the refrigerator in the morning after it being in there overnight. I am still not sure exactly what happened, but I believe it was somehow separated from the pudding. I don't know if it was a reaction between the graham cracker crust and the pudding or the marshmallow creme in the pudding or just the pudding itself. Regardless, it make the crust a bit soggy, adding to the pie not setting up well. I am not sure that I will make this again, but if I did, I might try to spread the marshmallow creme on the bottom and spread the already set up pudding over the top. I think that might help. Like I said, the graham cracker, chocolate, and marshmallow flavors mixed together well, even if it didn't turn out as the most beautiful pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment