Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Thankful Pie

I almost named this pie "No, I am not going to buy a Kirby today!!!!" pie, but it looked so yummy that I didn't want to ruin it with a horrible memory of a name.

I don't know for sure what I was thinking (actually I do, and I will explain) and I let the door-to-door Kirby people into my house at 4:30 this afternoon to 'clean my carpet' (aka talk to you for 3 hours about buying a $1900 vacuum cleaner--yeah, NINETEEN HUNDRED DOLLARS!!!) . I have heard this spiel before. A kid in our last church worked for Kirby for a summer to raise money for college. He was just the spiel-giver, so he got paid even if he didn't make a sale--which of course he didn't get from us (of course, he does make more if he actually makes a sale). We decided to let him come over and give his spiel to us one night. He cleaned our carpet afterwards. It took awhile, but I felt good about helping a kid get to college.

Well today the Kirby door-to-door people came a-knocking. The dude practically begged me to let him vacuum my carpet. I thought to myself, it must be really hard to be a Kirby salesperson right now in this kind of economy. I don't mind listening to the spiel again, if the dude gets paid for it. OK. So. I. Let. Him. IN!!!
Actually the dude who gave the spiel was very nice. We chatted about our families (he and his wife recently home-birthed their little girl), we talked about Jesus for awhile, and I told him I let him in so he could get paid for giving me a spiel, but told him I really wasn't going to buy a Kirby today. He understood and was grateful.

He did his spiel. My biggest little critic loved him. She was all about helping him vacuum and inviting him to dinner. At the end, I told him no, I was not going to buy a Kirby today.

Enter his partner. This guy tried the 'your house is so disgusting and your vacuum cleaner really sucks, are you really OK with that? Really??' tactic.
Then he moved on to the, "Let me call my people to see if I can get you a fabulous deal! Really, boss? Are you serious? OK, I'll tell her. We are going to PAY YOU for your current vacuum cleaner! Can you believe that? We will knock $300 off our original offer. That's right now it's only $1699!! And your house is so gross, so you had better buy it or your kids are going to get allergies and die!!!" tactic.

You annoy me. No, I am not going to buy a Kirby today.

By now it is like 5:45. Jim is home from work. (Bless him, he didn't act the least bit surprised to see a strange man selling a vacuum cleaner in our living room, but he also wasn't about to stick around so he headed down into the basement until I sounded the all clear) The family is hungry and ready to eat (Jim refused to come up until the Kirby people were gone). Luckily, I was able to bake some chicken during the spiel, so I sat my biggest little critic down and she got her dinner on time.

Enter the 3rd Musketeer! Seriously, a THIRD salesman entered my house! He called himself the "Repo Man" and said he had just picked up a slightly used Kirby from a woman who just went into the nursing home. He asked if I "could help his boss out" and pick up the payments on her Kirby for a better price than I would ever see again!!!

I AM NOT BUYING A KIRBY TODAY!!!!

"What does your husband think," the stupid man asks.

So I let him know. My husband is hungry! He's sitting in the basement waiting for you people to leave so he can have his dinner! You are the third person I have told I am not buying a Kirby today.
I AM NOT BUYING A KIRBY TODAY!!

Nice Sales Guy #1 apologized for these other two guys. And asked me to pray that he will be able to find another job. Will do, sales guy! If you don't mind, say a quick prayer for him too. He deserves better.
So anyway, I decided to name this pie Thankful Pie. I am so thankful for so many things. My husband and I have wonderful jobs and work for a great company. We have two beautiful, healthy girls. We have a home and food for our table. Tonight is LOST night (I am so obsessed!). I could go on and on, but I am especially thankful neither I nor my husband work for Kirby!! What a crappy job!

Ingredients:

15 ounces of pumpkin puree
Jar of Marshmallow Creme
16 ounce tub of cool whip (about 3/4 for recipe, the rest to top when serving)
1 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
pinch of cloves
pinch of salt

Directions:
1. Make 1 Make It Snappy Pie Crust. Cool completely. Set it aside.

2. Dump pumpkin in mixing bowl. Add all spices. Mix.
3. Add in half the marshmallow creme and half the cool whip. Mix well. Add in remaining creme and cool whip. Mix.
4. Pour mousse into waiting pie shell. Refrigerate a couple hours or overnight.
The Verdict:
OK we haven't actually tasted the finished pie yet. Because of the Kirby guys, I didn't get to make this until after LOST tonight (oh, boy was it a good one tonight!!). So it still needs to refrigerate overnight.

This pie was SUPER easy to make (I'm talking like 5 minutes to whip it together). I made a little too much mousse, and Jim and I just devoured that. It was excellent. I will update tomorrow when we actually try a piece of the pie. I have no doubt it will be good.

FYI, this recipe was inspired by this one by Rachael Ray. I made it for Thanksgiving last year and it was delish.
03/07/09 Update:
This pie tasted pretty good. The mousse didn't get very stiff, so the pie didn't come out of the pan very well. Definitely not one of the prettiest pies I have ever made. I think it would be better if you actually used whipping cream like Rachael's recipe. That would make it stiffer. The Make It Snappy Pie Crust was OK. I am not sure I would use gingersnap cookies again. They ended up being kinda soggy on the bottom and crunchy on the sides (next time I will spray the sides of the pie pan with pam spray).
We took the pie to work to share with our co-workers. Everyone said it tasted good, which is the most important thing!

1 comment:

  1. We had a Water Purifier guy come to our house and he told me I was doing a disservice to my children by letting them drink my nasty dirty hard water. He used worse words than that but I have pushed it out of my memory. Then he wanted me to give him names of friends he could go harass and I thought of you guys. But there was no way I was going to let him do the same to you :)

    ReplyDelete