Thursday, April 16, 2009

Even Chicken Parm Can Be Pie

I am a big fan of chicken parmesan, so I figured I could surely make chicken parmesan into a pie. How hard could it be, right?


Ingredients
1 That's Amore Crust
2 c. chicken breast, cut into pieces
1/2 large green pepper, chopped
1/3 large onion, chopped
1 small can mushrooms
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 egg
1 c. italian bread crumbs
1 jar marinara sauce
garlic powder to taste
italian seasoning to taste
1 c. mozzarella cheese
parmesan cheese for serving
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 400F.


3. In a large skillet, heat olive oil. Add onion, green pepper, and mushroom. Saute until the onion begins to soften.
4. Beat egg in a bowl.
5. Put chicken pieces in egg and stir well so that all the chicken is covered with egg.
6. Coat chicken with bread crumbs.
7. Put onion, pepper, and mushroom mixture into crust.
8. Top with chicken and seasonings.
9. Cover with marinara sauce.
10. Bake at 400F for about 40 minutes.

11. Remove from oven and cover with mozzarella cheese. Bake an additional 10 minutes or until cheese begins to brown.
The Verdict
This was a delicious take on chicken parm. The pie set up very well. The crust did get a bit soggy on the bottom, which I think may have been attributed to the onion, pepper, and mushroom mixture on the bottom. Because these were sauteed in olive oil, I think they may have been a bit too soggy to be on the bottom. Next time, I might try putting the chicken on the bottom instead of the veggies. Also, I would definitely like to try fresh mushrooms rather than canned because I am sure they would be much better, but we just didn't have any fresh around the house. All in all, it was a wonderful pie. It is one that I will definitely make again and try altering to make it even better.

2 comments:

  1. That pie looks AMAZING! I am definitely putting it on my meal plan next time to try! :-) I think I am going to make munchkin princess pie this weekend...alternating layers of chocolate mousse and fresh strawberries! I can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this for dinner tonight. It was AMAZING! I put the chicken on the bottom, but it was still soggy. I guess it is just going to be a slightly soggy pie. It tasted wonderful and Jim says I can make it again any time!

    ReplyDelete