Monday, April 13, 2009

Jesus Loves Me Pie

Jesus is my hero. His love is so incredibly great for each and everyone of us. In light of Easter, I wanted to make a pie that would represent Jesus' ultimate love and sacrifice for us. I couldn't think of anything more wonderful than to make a pie with a heart in the middle. My prayer is that we will always remember what Jesus has done for us. May He always fill our hearts and be at the center of our lives.


Ingredients
2 Easy Peasy Pie Crusts
3 c. cherries, pitted
1-1/2 c. sugar
3 Tbsp. tapioca
1/4 tsp. almond extract
1 Tbsp. butter or margarine

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 400F.


2. Make Easy Peasy Pie Crusts.


3. In a bowl, combine cherries, sugar, tapioca, and almond extract.
4. Roll out second crust.
5. Use a heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut out the center of the crust. (You could probably cut out the heart freehand if you don't have a cookie cutter.)
6. Pour the cherry mixture into the prepared pie crust, and then top with 1 Tbsp. butter or margarine.
7. Top with crust. Seal pie crust edges. Slice vents outward from the heart in the center. Sprinkle with sugar.
8. Bake at 400F for about 1 hour or until crust is golden brown and cherry mixture looks thickened.


The Verdict
This pie was AMAZING! Cherry pie is not typically one of my favorites, but this pie was really, really, really good. My mom said the same thing. The cherry, tapioca, and almond extract mixture created a perfect flavor. Unlike some of my other recent pies, this pie set up very nicely and was very easy to serve. Plus, it was gorgeous! I actually went ahead and made a little tart also because I had an abundance of pie filling. I put the heart cut-out from the top crust on top of the extra pie filling and sprinkled it with sugar. I baked it about half the time of the pie, and it turned out really good, too. I definitely recommend trying this pie because it may have been the best cherry pie I have ever had, which is only fitting for the Savior of the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment