Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Legacy Pie

So apparently, my sister and I come from a long line of 'pie inspired' women! Heather was telling me last week, that our Aunt Sally was telling her about how our Great Great Grandma Nellie used to bake a pie for her husband (Great Great Grandpa Owen Eldo) every single day! And did Great Great Grandpa Owen Eldo share? Oh no he did not! He ate the entire pie all by himself every single day for lunch! Oh, and Great Great Grandpa Owen Eldo lived well into is 80s, so apparently a daily diet of pie worked out pretty well for him! Sweet!

Awhile back, my Aunt Sally and my mom got really interested in genealogy. They loved talking with my Grandma Great (their Grandma) Lola and getting information and stories about all our past relatives. Grandma Great was Owen Eldo and Nellie's only child. Anyway, one of the projects my mom and aunt undertook was to document some of Grandma Great's favorite family recipes. Then they made a cookbook for every family member of all the cherished recipes. Well, I haven't looked at mine in ages, but the other night as I was talking to Heather, I got it out. Sure enough, there are several pie recipes documented there!

So I had to make one (and probably more eventually). This one is called "Aunt Laura's Lemon Cake Pie" (I think Aunt Laura might have been Owen Eldo's sister). I have renamed it Legacy Pie in honor of this neat legacy that my Parents, Grandparents, Great Grandparents, and Great Great Grandparents have left for me and my family.

Sadly, my Grandma Great passed away at the ripe old age of 104 last August. She was spunky and sweet to the very end. We miss you, Grandma Great! Every time I make this pie, I'm going to think about and remember the amazing legacy you left for us!!


Part of Grandma Great's Legacy...5 generations, 1 picture.

Ingredients:



1 cup sugar
2 Tbls flour
2 Eggs (divide yolks and whites)
butter the size of a walnut (what??? I used a Tbls of butter)
Juice of one lemon
1 cup sweetened condensed milk

Directions:
1. Make your easy peasy pie crust. Set aside.

2. Divide your egg. Put yolks in one mixing bowl, the whites in another. Set the whites aside.

3. Mix egg yolks, sugar, flour, softened butter, and lemon juice.

4. Add sweet milk and mix again. Set aside.




5. Beat egg whites with an electric mixer until they form a stiff froth. Honestly, I can not imagine doing this without an electric mixer. Grandma Nellie and Aunt Laura must have had arms more buff than a body builder!


6. Fold the egg whites into the lemon mixture.


7. Pour into waiting pie crust.


8. Bake in a 'moderate' oven 'until firm'. (I got a little nervous when I read this step. Ummm, what is a 'moderate' oven temperature? And 'until firm' is way too vague for me. I need a temperature and a time! Maybe women just knew these things back then. I don't, so I guessed: 350 degrees for 30 minutes). The pie ended up baking for a total of 50 minutes.


The Verdict:

As I was eating my piece of Legacy Pie tonight, I realized I had had this pie before--a very, very long time ago. Grandma Great or my Grandma Marge must have made it for family Christmas or Thanksgiving or something. This pie definitely makes me think of family and comfort and being loved.
The consistency of the pie reminded me of homemade lemon bars. It was kinda creamy, but solid. The lemon flavor really came through. I wasn't sure it would because it didn't seem like much lemon, but it was perfect!
When the pie came out of the oven, it was all puffed up and even with the crust. Upon cooling, the middle sunk. I'm not sure it's supposed to do that. I'm not sure what to do about it, though.
This was great pie! If you like lemon bars, you will love this pie!

No comments:

Post a Comment