Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Only Because I Love You Pie

Last week my husband informed me that he had to be at work 2 days the following week at 5:30am for meetings.

"That really stinks," I told him "Try not to wake me up, OK."

"Umm, OK." He replied. "For the Wednesday one, it's my turn to bring breakfast."
"Oh?" I replied "What are you going to bring?"
"I was thinking quiche," looking at me adoringly.
"Were you now? Well, I suppose I could make you a quiche. How about an Even My Meat-Adoring Husband Likes This Pie?" I asked.

Nose crinkle. "I'm not sure the people at work will like that one."
"You did! It was really good!"

"I'm just saying, I think the people at work would not care for it."
"Hmmmm, OK. So meat then?"
Grin. "Yes!"

"OK. How many people are in your meeting?"

"35 or so."
"35!???"
"Yep. I figure 4 quiches should be enough."

Sigh. "Only because I love you..."
Ingredients:

(Note: I made 4 pies, but the recipe here is for one. The pictures are for 4 (1 sausage, 1 bacon, 1 ham, and 1 mushroom). I also only had 3.5 cups of yogurt, so the mushroom quiche has only 1/2 cup yogurt and 3 eggs (instead of 2). It still looks amazing.)
1 Easy Peasy Pie Crust + about 1/2 tsp of ground cloves mixed in
1 lb sausage, 1 lb bacon, 1 cup ham, or 1 package of fresh, sliced mushrooms
1 onion-diced
1 tsp olive oil
2 eggs
1 cup plain yogurt
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup cheddar cheese
Directions:
1. Make your Easy Peasy Pie Crust. I decided to add in 1/2 tsp of ground cloves for fun when I put in the flour. This made the pie crust smell really really good! I think I am really going to like it this way! Prick crusts with a fork several times and bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Set aside.
2. Turn oven down to 350 degrees.

3. Saute onion with sausage, bacon, ham, or mushrooms until well cooked. I cut up the bacon before cooking it. I patted the cooked sausage and bacon with paper towels to remove excess grease. I only added the olive oil to the skillet for the ham and onions and the mushrooms an onions. I left it out for the bacon and sausage.


4. In a separate bowl, mix eggs, yogurt, nutmeg, and sea salt with electric mixer. Gently fold in cheese and onion and meat/mushroom mixture (whatever you are making).



5. Pour into waiting pie crust. Bake for 40 minutes until the center is set.

6. Cool for 10 minutes before cutting. Mine will be cooling all night, since I was not about to get up at 3:00 in the morning to make fresh from the oven pie for Jim's 5:30 am meeting. Jim said he will get up at 4:30 or so and put them back in the oven to warm. I think they will be just fine cool, but either way.
7. I also had quite a bit of leftover pie crust dough since I made 4 pie crusts. I rolled out the leftovers and made these adorable pie crust gingerbread men. My biggest little critic is going to be so excited when she finds out! I sprinkled them with cinnamon sugar and baked them for 10 minutes at 400 degrees.

The Verdict:
I am hoping I get some feedback on these, because I won't actually get to taste any of them. I tried a pie crust gingerbread man and he was amazing! I really like the ground cloves in the crust a lot! The quiches all look amazing, and smelled really good too (I really,really wanted some of the mushroom one!). If I get some feedback from Jim's co-workers, I'll update and let you know what they think!
04/22/09 Update:
Jim said the quiches were a big hit at work. He was right about his co-workers preferring meat. The only pie with leftovers was the meatless mushroom one! He said it wouldn't be a problem though. He would just set it out in the cafeteria and it would quickly disappear during break time!
The pie dough gingerbread men were a HUGE hit with my biggest little critic. She was so sweet because she insisted we bring them along on our play date at the park and share them with her friends! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment