Saturday, April 11, 2009

Sorry You Had to Work Pie

Last week my dad and I traveled down to Tennessee to visit my brother, sister-in-law, and 3-month-old nephew. However, my mom was not able to go because she had to work. Well, I had told my brother and sister-in-law I would make a pie for them while I was visiting. So, I took what I thought were blackberries from our freezer down to Tennessee to make a pie. Mind you, we have a HUGE blackberry patch and have an abundance of blackberries in our freezer. Well, on Sunday afternoon when I took the berries out of the freezer (where they had been inside a grocery sack since we arrived on Saturday afternoon), I was surprised to find not blackberries but black RASPBERRIES. YUM! We had all forgotten we even had these. Now, black raspberry pie just happens to be my mom's favorite, and as I mentioned, she was not able to come to Tennessee because she had to work. So, sorry you had to work, Mom...


Ingredients
1 Easy Peasy Pie Crust
3 c. fresh or frozen black raspberries
1-1/2 c. sugar
3 Tbsp. corn starch
1/2 c. flour
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. sugar
3 Tbsp. butter or margarine



Directions
1. Preheat oven to 400F.


2. Make 1 Easy Peasy Pie Crust.


3. In a large bowl, combine raspberries, 1-1/2 c. sugar, and corn starch.
4. In a separate bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, and 1/4 c. sugar.
5. Stir well.

6. Add 3 Tbsp. of butter or margarine.
7. Using a fork, cut in the butter or margarine until crumbly.
8. Pour raspberry mixture into prepared crust.
9. Top with crumbly mixture.
10. Bake at 400F for about 50 minutes. The raspberry mixture should be bubbling under the crumb topping.


The Verdict
The pie tasted great! It was a bit runny, which I think was a combination of not quite baking it long enough and cutting it while it was still slightly warm. I was using an oven that I was not used to, which always makes me afraid that I will burn the pie. I do think that if the pie baked a bit longer and was allowed to cool completely it would have set up much better. But, if you are afraid that it is not going to set up, you can always throw in an extra tablespoon of corn starch. We served our pie with homemade peach ice cream, and it was officially delicious. Again, sorry you had to work, Mom...

No comments:

Post a Comment