Thursday, April 23, 2009

Tropical Paradise Pie

I had been working on coming up with a more unique pie, something that is different and out of the ordinary. So, I did some research and found this recipe for a pie with pineapple. In light of the fluctuating (mostly cold) Indiana spring weather, I would love to be in a tropical paradise right now. However, I think this pie is as close as I am going to be getting in the near future.


Ingredients
1 Easy Peasy Pie Crust
1/3 c. sugar
1 Tbsp. corn starch
8 oz. crushed pineapple with juice
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1/2 c. milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 c. pecans, chopped


(Sorry, I forgot to take an ingredients picture)


Directions
1. Preheat oven to 400F.


2. Make 1 Easy Peasy Pie Crust.


3. In a small saucepan, combine 1/3 c. sugar, pineapple with juice, and corn starch. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick. Cool and set aside.
4. Blend cream cheese, 1/2 c. sugar, and salt in a mixing bowl until creamy.

5. Beat in eggs one at a time.6. Blend in milk and vanilla.
7. Spread cooled pineapple mixture in the bottom of the pie crust.
8. Pour cream cheese mixture over the pineapple.
9. Top with chopped pecans.
10. Bake at 400F for about 50 minutes. Cool.
The Verdict I made this pie to take to a salad bar at church, so I didn't actually eat any. However, there were no leftovers, and everyone who tried it said that it was quite tasty. I ended up putting the pineapple mixture in the refrigerator to cool it, and it was not completely cooled when I spread it in the pie crust. I don't think it made a huge difference. The filling made a lot, and the pie was nearly overflowing. However, it looked pretty good anyway. It was very firm, and it kind of had a custard consistency. So, if you are interested in capturing a little piece of a tropical paradise, this is your ticket!

No comments:

Post a Comment