Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Future Family of Five Pie

Our family of four is growing! And not in the traditional way, either! Jim and I have decided that we are going to adopt a child from Ethiopia into our family! We're so excited!

The fact that there are orphans in the world has always broken my heart...even as a little girl. Just the idea of kids who didn't have families and lived in orphanages broke my tender little heart. Obviously, God had been cultivating the idea of adoption in my heart for a long time. Jim and I really discussed this heart's desire for the first time before we got pregnant with our itty-bitty critic. We had tried and tried to get pregnant (over a year and a half!). It was then that I brought up the idea of adoption to Jim. He had never thought about it before. As we continued to talk about it, and the idea took hold of his heart as well. Soon after that, we got pregnant with our beautiful, itty-bitty critic, but by then we had both decided that someday we would adopt a child. Our family simply wouldn't be complete otherwise.

Someday is now!

So in honor of our future family of five, here is an amazing pie! We're so excited to start this crazy journey to bring home the child our hearts long for!

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup flour
1 tsp nutmeg
3 eggs, beaten
3 cups chopped rhubarb
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 Tbls butter

Directions:

1. Make your Easy Peasy Pie Crusts. Line your pie pan with one. Roll out the other and use a gingerbread man cookie cutter to cut out 5 little people to top your pie. Get it? Future Family of 5! Cute, yes??

(I sprinkled the extra gingerbread pie crust people with cinnamon sugar and baked them on a cookie sheet for 10 minutes at 400 degrees. They make amazing cookies!)
2. In a large bowl mix together flour, sugar, and nutmeg. Add in eggs, vanilla and rhubarb and toss gently.
3. Pour into waiting pie shell. Dot with tiny cubes of butter.
4. Top with your 5 gingerbread pie pastry people.
5. Bake for 55 minutes at 400 degrees.
The Verdict:
I very much enjoyed this pie. I pretty much ate the entire thing single-handily (although I limited myself to one piece a day!). I think rhubarb cream pie is one of my very favorite kinds of pie. The cream part was very sugary and creamy. The rhubarb had a slight sour twang to it. So yummy!
I also discovered a treasure in my cupboard! We received a stoneware pie plate as a wedding gift (8 years ago today, actually!). I had never used it because I only recently discovered my pie inspiration. Let me tell you, stoneware pie plates are the way to go! They bake amazing pie! I highly recommend using one for your future pie inspirations!

No comments:

Post a Comment