Thursday, May 28, 2009

Hearty Home Crust

While wandering around a local bulk food store, I stumbled across some whole wheat pie and pastry flour. I thought it sounded interesting, and it was fairly inexpensive. So, I figured what the hey! I'll give it a try.

Ingredients
1 c. whole wheat pie & pastry flour (aka graham flour)
1/3 c. shortening
pinch of salt
3-4 Tbsp. cold water

Directions
1. Put flour, shortening, and salt into food processors.

2. Mix until crumbly.

3. Continue blending while adding water.

4. Blend until dough ball forms.

5. Roll out dough on wax paper.
6. Place crust in pie pan.

The Verdict
I really liked this crust. I used it in making Jesus Loves Me Pie and Sometimes You Feel Like a Nut Pie. It was a pretty "heavy" crust. Because it was heavier than a regular crust, it was a little more difficult to roll out, and it was less pliable, which made it slightly more difficult to press into the pie pan. It just required a bit more care in handling. I think it was much better with the pecan pie than with the cherry pie. In the future, I think this would be really good to be used with a pot pie of some sort. It is not the best with fruit pies, but it is totally doable, depending on your taste. I have also thought about mixing this flour with regular flour in making the crust. I think that might make it lighter, while still maintaining the wheat flavor. I still have a lot of wheat flour, so I have plenty of time to play around with this crust to make it even better!

No comments:

Post a Comment