Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Hospitality Pie

We love it when friends and family visit us! Oh yes we do!!! We love to make delicious food for you and plan fun activities to do together. And I will make you a pie. So if that isn't some good incentive to come and see us, I don't know what is!! I know we live in the middle of nowhere, but I WILL MAKE YOU A PIE, PEOPLE! :-)

Last weekend our dear friends Jen and Jamie drove 4+ hours to come see us! We love you guys!!! We ate. We played. We had pie. It was a fantastic weekend!


Ingredients:
(Sorry, no ingredient picture. Honestly, I was very bad about taking pictures of this pie. Sorry about that!)

2 Easy Peasy Pie Crusts + 1 tsp Penzeys Baking Spice (Penzey spices are the bomb, by the way!)
6 apples, peeled, cored. sliced
1 pint sliced fresh strawberries
3 Tbls cornstarch
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup white sugar

Directions:

1. Make your easy peasy pie crusts. I added a teaspoon of Penzeys Baking Spice. Yum! Put one crust in your waiting pie pan. Set the other aside to use to top your pie.

2. Combine cornstarch and sugars. Add in sliced apples and sliced strawberries. Gently mix together until well combined.

3. Pour apple mixture into waiting pie pan and top with your second crust. Make sure you cut a design in the top crust to vent your pie (I did a JJ for Jen and Jamie--ummm, I just realized that my Js are backwards...can you become dyslexic at 30 years old???? I'm a little worried about myself!).


4. Bake in 375 degree oven for 50 minutes or until the top crust is lightly browned.


The Verdict:
This pie was pretty good. I decided that when I use fresh strawberries in a pie, I prefer them to be uncooked. They get pretty mushy and soft when cooked. The flavor of the strawberries really came through in this pie, though, and we had no problem polishing the entire pie off! We served it slightly warm with ice cream, as we watched Saturday Night Live (Justin Timberlake is surprisingly hilarious). It was good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment