Wednesday, May 6, 2009

In Memory of Mark's Kidney Pie

Our neighbor, Mark, recently had to have his kidney removed. He was home last week recovering from his operation. I asked his wife if it would be OK if I made him a pie. She smiled and said he loved pie. I asked her what his favorite was. Rhubarb, she told me. I thought cool, I've been wanting to make a rhubarb pie, surely I can find some this time of year. It is in season, after all! I went to the farmer's market. They were sold out. I called the grocery. Nope, no shipments yet. Finally, a woman at our girls' day care told me she had rhubarb in abundance at her place and brought me some! YAY! Thanks, Marilyn (I'm bringing you a piece of this pie tomorrow!)!!!

During my quest for rhubarb, Mark took a look at our pie blog. He requested a Changing the World Pie, which I gladly made for him. I still had my heart set on making him a rhubarb apple pie though. Today I finally made it for him. So in memory of your kidney, Mark, here is an amazing pie!

Ingredients:

2 Easy Peasy Pie Crusts + 1 tsp cinnamon
1 jar of Apple Pie in a Jar or 4 cups fresh cored, peeled, diced apples
3 cups diced rhubarb
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 Tbls butter (not pictured--oops!)

Directions:
1. Prepare your Easy Peasy Pie Crusts. I decided to add a little cinnamon to this crust dough. Roll out one crust and put it in your waiting pie pan. I decided to make the top crust a lattice on this pie. I just used a pizza roller to make the strips, like so.


2. Put your brown sugar and flour in a mixing bowl. Combine well.


3. Pour in diced rhubarb and apple pie in a jar. You could also use 4 cups of fresh diced apples, combined with 1/2 cup sugar, nutmeg, and cinnamon to taste if you don't have any apple pie in a jar (but you really should make some--it's amazing!!). Add in vanilla and fold together gently until well combined.


4. Pour into waiting crust. Cut the Tbls of butter into cubes. Dot the top of the pie with them.


5. Top the pie with the pie crust strips. First right to left, then top to bottom. I didn't bother to weave them, but you could if you wanted to. Fold the bottom crust up and over to cover the ends of the strips (or you could fold it all under as well). Make sure you press the crust firmly to seal it. I didn't do a good job with this and part of my pie crust came undone.


6. Bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes.


The Verdict:

Yum!! This was excellent pie. The rhubarb was still had the perfect slightly sour twang to it, but was perfectly complimented by the sweet, cinnamony apples. I ate two pieces of this pie tonight. It was that good! I just got done running in a 5K race tonight, so I figured that I deserved and extra piece of this amazing pie! Honestly, I would have eaten another piece even if I hadn't just run a 5K. It was that good!!!

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful looking pie! Wish I could try a slice! Just stumbled on your blog from your facebook page. I'm looking forward to your adventures. Oh and I'm jealous, rhubarb doesn't grow in the south where I'm living.....
    Kristi (Stockman) Kavicky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! You have been nominated for an Awesome Blog 2009 Award! Someone thought you should win the Awesomest Food/Recipe Category! Stop by and check it out!

    http://awesomestblogs2009.blogspot.com/

    I have additional information I want to email you if you would send me your email address!

    God bless-
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete