Monday, May 18, 2009

On a Lighter Note Pie

I don't really have a story for this pie. I really was just trying to come up with a pie that would be on the healthier, lighter side of things. Sometimes it is just nice to have a dessert that you don't have to feel guilty for eating, right? So, here is a fairly healthy pie. (I do have some suggestions to make it even more so!)

Ingredients
1-1/2 to 2 c. graham crackers, crushed
6 Tbsp. butter or margarine, melted
2 bananas, sliced
1-1/2 c. strawberries, quartered (this is an estimate, I am really not sure exactly how many I used)
2-6 oz. containers of non-fat vanilla yogurt
Lite cool whip for serving

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350F.

2. Crush graham crackers in a food processor. (If you have 3 packages of graham crackers in your box, one package is about the perfect amount for a crust.)
3. Pour melted butter/margarine over graham cracker crumbs in a bowl. Stir them together until crumbs are all moistened.
4. Press graham cracker mixture into pie pan. Bake for about 10 minutes in preheated oven. Allow to cool.
5. Stir together yogurt and banana slices.
6. Pour yogurt mixture into waiting crust. Freeze for at least four hours. (I froze mine overnight.)
7. Arrange quartered strawberries on top of frozen yogurt-banana mixture. Return to freezer until ready to serve.
The Verdict
This pie tasted really good. I was slightly bummed about the texture. The yogurt formed some ice crystals in it while it froze, which made it more crunchy and less creamy than I had imagined. The flavor of both the bananas and strawberries came through very well, though. In the future I think I might try using regular yogurt instead of non-fat to see if that makes a difference in whether ice crystals form or not. It might also make a difference if you did not allow the pie to sit in the freezer quite so long. I am wondering if it was only in there a few hours instead of overnight if it would be firm without forming ice crystals. Also, if you wanted to make this pie even lighter, you could substitute yogurt for the butter in the graham cracker crust. Overall, this pie was a great light dessert that was nearly guilt-free!

1 comment:

  1. I think I will have to make this pie for myself soon, given that one of the liitle 3 year olds in my Sunday School class announced that I was pregnant to a room full of people last Sunday. I'm not.

    ReplyDelete