Friday, May 15, 2009

Spoiled Rotten Pie

I am spoiled rotten. I really am. For Mother's Day, Jim took our girls shopping for me and they surprised me with the following...

A beautiful hanging basket of pink flowers
A box of blue iced sugar cookies (my biggest little critic picked those out for me)
A box of butter lovers microwave popcorn (my itty-bitty critic picked that out for me with help from her big sister)
Two books I've been wanting, Betty's Pies Favorite Recipes and There is no Me Without You
And a Walmart gift card!

I was feeling pretty special and spoiled by my family.

Then my wonderful husband says, "The Walmart gift card was actually a bonus present because of the anniversary present I bought you today. We got a free $20 gift card with purchase."

Really???

Then he says, "Oh I can't stand it! I don't want to hide it for another month until our anniversary, so close your eyes and I'll bring it in!"

I open my eyes to find this...

Well, it was still in the box, actually, but WOW--A BRAND NEW KITCHEN AID STAND MIXER!!!!

Jim says he really wanted to surprise me with a gift that would help me in my pie making endeavors. Isn't he the best!!!!!!

Yep, I am definitely spoiled rotten! :-)

Ingredients:


1 Easy Peasy Pie Crust
2 cups sugar, divided
1/4 cup + 2 Tbls cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup fresh key lime juice
1/2 cup cold water
3 eggs, separated
2 Tbls butter
1 1/2 cups boiling water
1 tsp grated lime peel (optional)
green food coloring (optional)
1/4 tsp cream of tarter

Directions:
1. Make your easy peasy pie crust (I made it in my new kitchen aid, ant it was great!). Put it in your pie pan and prick the bottom and sides with a fork several times (this keeps the crust from bubbling when you bake it). Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes (or until lightly browned). Turn down oven to 350 after the pie crust comes out.

2. Combing 1 1/2 cups sugar, cornstarch, and salt in large saucepan. Add lime juice, cold water, and egg yolks. Blend well.

3. Add your butter and slowly add the boiling water. Bring mixture to boil on medium heat and cook 3 minutes. It will get pretty thick.



4. Remove from heat and add food coloring and lime peel (my husband chastised me for adding the food coloring because apparently 'authentic' key lime pie is not green. I don't care, I think it looks pretty!). Cool 20 minutes.



5. While the lime mixture cools, make your meringue. Beat the egg whites until frothy. Add the cream of tartar and whip until soft peaks form. Continue beating and slowing add in the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar. Beat until stiff peaks form. It was way fun to do this with my new kitchen aid. I just watched, and fed my biggest little critic lunch, and then watched some more. I really am spoiled rotten by this new contraption!



6. Pour the cooled pie filling into your waiting pie crust. Top with meringue. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until lightly browned (I baked mine for 18 minutes).




7. Cool completely and serve!



The Verdict:




This was very delicious pie. Jim and I enjoyed it very much. And look how pretty it is! We took the leftovers to the girls' day care and they enjoyed it very much as well. It was a lot of steps, and took quite a bit of time to make this pie. Next time I will skip the grated lime peel (or grate it smaller) and the food coloring to make Jim happy. I have never made a meringue before and decided that meringue would be hard to make by hand.

Luckily I never have to.

I am so spoiled rotten!!

1 comment:

  1. authentic key lime pie would not have meringue on it either...and even though I admit to adding green food coloring to key lime pie before, I think you put a little much in :) Bet it tasted great though.

    ReplyDelete