Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Taste of Spring Pie

It seems lately that I have been hearing a lot of talk about how wonderful strawberry rhubarb pies are, and while I love both strawberries and rhubarb, I have never had them together in a pie...until now. I decided to go ahead and see what all the rage was about with the combination of these two springtime favorites.

Ingredients
3 c. rhubarb, chopped
1-1/2 to 1-3/4 c. strawberries, sliced
1-1/2 c. sugar
3-1/2 Tbsp. tapioca
1-1/2 tsp. nutmeg
pinch of salt
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 425F.


3. In a bowl, combine rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, tapioca, nutmeg, and salt. Stir until fruit is covered with sugar.
4. Pour mixture into waiting pie crust. Dot with about 1 Tbsp. butter/margarine.
5. Cover with top crust. Seal edges and cut vents in top crust.
6. Bake for 20 minutes in preheated 425F oven. Reduce heat to 375F and bake for an additional 20 minutes.
The Verdict
Well, I now know what all the rage is about. It was pretty darn good pie. It was not my absolute favorite, and I am going to agree with Reagan (as stated about Hospitality Pie) that I prefer my strawberries fresh in pies rather than baked. Mushy strawberries are not my favorite. All in all, the pie was pretty good. I might ease up on the sugar next time because it really lost all tartness of the rhubarb, which I did miss. We haven't had any problem polishing this pie off, but I don't think it will go on our all-time favorites list or anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment