Sunday, May 3, 2009

While Dad is Away Pie

I had been really excited to try another quiche, but my dad has expressed on multiple occasions that he is really not a fan of quiche. He would eat it if he had to, but it is never something he would choose to eat on his own. Why? I really am not sure. The man loves eggs and pie, so why not together? Oh well. The other night he was gone for the evening, so I jumped at the opportunity to make a quiche for dinner since mom and I both thoroughly enjoy quiche. So, here is what happens while Dad is away...

Ingredients
(I forgot to take a picture again, sorry!)
1 Easy Peasy Pie Crust with 1/2 tsp. cloves
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 c. chopped fresh mushrooms
1 med. tomato, chopped,
1-10 oz. pkg. frozen spinach, defrosted with the excess water squeezed out (this is a guess as to how much spinach I used because I used spinach that we had packaged and put in the freezer ourselves)
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 c. plain yogurt (I used fat free)
2 eggs
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 c. mozzarella cheese

Directions
1. Make 1 Easy Peasy Pie Crust with 1/2 tsp. cloves. Prick sides with a fork several times. Bake in preheated 400F oven for 15 minutes.

2. Reduce oven to 350F.

3. Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Saute spinach, mushrooms, tomato, and garlic until mushrooms begin to soften.
4. In a mixing bowl, combine yogurt, eggs, and nutmeg. Blend with hand mixer until well blended.
5. Fold in vegetable mixture and cheese.
6. Place in waiting pie crust.
7. Bake at 350F for 40 minutes or until center is set. Cool for 10 minutes before cutting.
The Verdict
It was delicious! Mom and I both loved it and neither of us had to endure Dad's face or watch him drink multiple glass of milk to "wash it down." The consistency was really good, and the flavors came out really well. I might put a little more tomato in next time in order to tame down the spinach flavor a little bit. I will definitely be making this again while Dad is away; unfortunately, he doesn't go away very often...wait, that doesn't sound very nice...I mean, I only want him to be gone for dinner occasionally so I can make quiche. I'm done before I dig myself a big hole...

No comments:

Post a Comment