Monday, June 1, 2009

Dining-In Dessert Pie

My mom stumbled across a recipe for a rhubarb cheesecake in the newspaper, so I decided I would modify it a bit and try it since we have quite a bit of rhubarb this time of year. It is actually a pretty elegant dessert and definitely looks like something you might get in a nice restaurant. Thus, I opted to call this pie Dining-In Dessert. Without further ado, here is the recipe.

Ingredients
1-8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened (I used a little an extra ounce or two of cream cheese)
1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs
2/3 tsp. vanilla
2 c. diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
2/3 c. sugar
3 Tbsp. water
2 tsp. cornstarch
cinnamon to taste

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 375F.


3. In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and 1/2 c. sugar until fluffy.
4. Add eggs and vanilla. Mix well.
5. Pour into waiting crust. Bake 20 minutes or until center is set and edges are light brown. Cool.
6. In a saucepan, combine rhubarb, 2/3 c. sugar, water, cornstarch, and cinnamon.
7. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
8. Cook and stir until thickened, about 5 minutes. Cool.
9. Pour over cream cheese filling.
10. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours. (I chilled it overnight.)

The Verdict
This pie was excellent. It had a great consistency, and it looked beautiful, too. The topping was sweeter than I had anticipated. Next time I think that I might use less sugar in the topping in order to bring out more of the tart flavor of the rhubarb. I limited myself to one piece per day, but I think I could have eaten the whole thing. It was a bit rich, so a smaller piece is sufficient. Overall, this was delicious, and if you know of any restaurants that are looking to expand their dessert menu, this would be an excellent choice!

No comments:

Post a Comment