Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Ethiopia Pie

Ever since we made the decision to adopt our next baby from Ethiopia, I have been somewhat obsessed with learning all I can about this country. Their history, their culture, and yes, of course, their food.

I even googled 'Ethiopian Pies.' I got no results.

This made me sad, so I decided to make one up.

I found a recipe for a Ethiopian vegetable stew called Alecha. I thought that it sounded like it would be yummy as a good old fashioned American pot pie.

Ethiopia melded with America.
Just like our baby.

Ingredients:
1 onion chopped
1 green pepper chopped
1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
4 potatoes, peeled and chopped
half a head of cabbage, chopped
2 Tbls Olive Oil
1 cup Tomato, diced
1 cup tomato sauce
1 Tbls ground ginger
salt and pepper to taste
Directions:

1. Prepare your 2 Home, Sweet (Potato), Home pie crusts. Place one in your pie pan. Set the other aside to top your pie.

2. Put oil in a large skillet. Saute onion, green pepper, carrots until soft. Add in cabbage and cover to wilt cabbage, stirring occasionally.

3. In a separate skillet, saute the chopped potatoes in some oil until crispy. Set aside.

4. To the onion/cabbage mixture, add the ginger, tomato, salt, pepper, and tomato sauce. Heat through.

5. Add the potatoes to the mixture. Heat through.

6. Pour vegetable mixture into your waiting pie crust.

7. Top the pie with your remaining crust and cut a design in the top to vent.

8. Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes.
The Verdict:
I really liked this pie. I am a huge fan of the Home, Sweet (Potato), Home Pie Crust. So yummy! Both my biggest little critic and my husband commented on how good the crust was. However, Jim said he wasn't a fan of the vegetable stew mixture ("It needs meat!" was his comment). My biggest little critic only ate the crust.

Next time I think I will use more ginger, because it is my favorite spice (I actually ran out, or I would have used more tonight). I also might add some cooked chicken or beef. Personally I thought it was good vegetarian, but hubby and daughter might eat it better if it had meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment