Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Razzle Dazzle Pie

For some reason, I was thinking about the movie Chicago as I was making this pie, and that song (Razzle Dazzle) that Richard Gere sings in the courtroom just seemed to fit this pie. I thought that this pie was going to be AMAZING, but my super secret ingredient (toasted almonds) which I thought would make this pie unique and wonderful, so did not.

I present to you, Razzle Dazzle (or not) Pie...
Ingredients:


2 Easy Peasy Pie Crusts + 1 tsp nutmeg
2 cups chopped rhubarb
2 cups mixed berries (you could use fresh or frozen, I used frozen and mostly thawed them before using)
1/4 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp nutmeg
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/3 cup toasted almonds
1 Tbls Butter

Directions:

1. Make your easy peasy pie crusts (add 1 tsp of nutmeg the flour). Put one in your waiting pie pan. Set the other aside to top your pie.

2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put almonds on a cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes, turning the almonds every 5 minutes to brown.



3. Mix sugar, nutmeg, salt, and flour together. Add rhubarb, berries (my mixture included strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries--Trader Joe's frozen mixed berries, oh how I love thee!), almond extract, and almonds. Mix well.



4. Pour berry mixture into waiting pie pan.

5. Top with dollops of butter and cover with your top crust. Cut a design in the top to vent.





6. Bake at 400 degrees for 50 minutes.


The Verdict:


I was so excited to try this pie. Look how pretty it is and I just knew that the almonds were going to make it amazing.

I was really, really, REALLY wrong!

I have learned that fruit pies should not crunch.

My biggest little critic took her first bite and loved it. The second bite she got an almond. She refused to eat another bite even after I picked the rest of the almonds out of her piece.

Jim was not a fan either, although between the two of us, we did end up finally consuming it (I can't stand to see even a mediocre pie go to waste!).

My advice, leave out the almonds (which is how I will make it from now on). Then this pie would be AMAZING!

No comments:

Post a Comment