Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Better Put a Note On It Pie

Well, I made this pie for a lady that I go to church with. She had asked me if I would be willing to make some sort of strawberry pie for her dad's birthday. Of course, I agreed to do so. However, when I dropped the pie off at her house the evening before her dad's birthday, she was not home. I left the pie in the hands of her husband and thirteen-year-old son. This was probably a mistake.
So, yeah, her son ate it. It never made it to the birthday party. But, they said it tasted good, so I guess that is the most important part.
Anyway, I learned my lesson. I will put a note on it next time...

Ingredients
2-1/2 c. fresh strawberries, halved
1/2 c. water
1/2 c. sugar
2 tsp. cornstarch
Cream filling:
1/2 c. sugar
3 Tbsp. corn starch
3 Tbsp. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2 c. milk
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/2 c. whipped cream
1 tsp. vanilla

Directions
1. Make 1 Easy Peasy Pie Crust. Prick several times with fork. Bake in 350F oven for 10-15 minutes, or until golden.

2. In a saucepan, mix 1/2 c. sugar, 3 Tbsp. corn starch, 3 Tbsp. flour, and 1/2 tsp. salt. 
3. Gradually stir in milk.
4. Stirring constantly, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook. Stir continuously until thick.

5. Stir a little of hot mixture into slightly beaten egg.

6. Return to remaining hot mixture. Bring just to boiling, stirring constantly.
7. Cool, then chill mixture.

8. After chilled, beat well.
9. Fold in whipped cream and 1 tsp. vanilla.
10. Pour cream filling into prepared pie crust.
11. Pile 2 c. halved strawberries on top of filling.

12. Crush remaining berries. Add 1/2 c. water. Cook 2 minutes. Sieve.

13. Separately, mix 1/2 c. sugar and 2 tsp. corn starch. Gradually stir into the berry juice.

14. Cook and stir until thick.
15. Cool slightly, and then pour over halved berries.

16. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
The Verdict
I am told that the pie tasted really good. I didn't actually try it myself. However, I might use a little less glaze (or at least less water) the next time I make this one. It seemed to still be a little runny, and thus, the edges of the crust got a bit soggy. Overall, I would be sure to put a note on this pie if you are making it for something special, or it is likely to be devoured!

1 comment:

  1. Hee hee! I love this name too! Awesome! Never trust a husband or teenager of any age3 with pie!

    ReplyDelete