Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Her Name Was Lola Pie

So, this is a family pie recipe, and it just happened to be my great grandma Lola's favorite pie!
Grandma Great, as we all called her, passed away last August about three weeks before her 104th birthday. She was an absolutely amazing woman, and I feel so blessed that I got to spend so many years with her!
Ingredients
3/4 c. sugar
1-1/2 c. black raspberries
4 Tbsp. flour (plus a little extra)
1 c. heavy whipping cream

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 400F.


3. In a mixing bowl, blend sugar and flour.

4. Add berries.5. Stir well.

6. Add cream, and mix well.
7. Rub some flour into the bottom of the pie crust.
(This helps to keep the cream from just absorbing right into the crust and making it soggy!)
8. Pour berry & cream mixture into waiting pie crust.
9. Bake in 400F oven for about 10 minutes. Then, turn it down to 350F, and bake for an additional 35-40 minutes, or until center is set and crust is golden.
The Verdict
Well, I understand why this recipe was Grandma Great's favorite. It was delicious!!!! And, I do believe it is my new favorite. A few notes about this pie. It is essential to mix things together in the order described above. If you had the berries or the cream before specified, you will end up with lumps of flour and such. Also, I tried this pie with both heavy whipping cream and half&half. Heavy whipping cream wins hands down! It was still good with the half&half, but definitely not the same. I also think that you could use this recipe with pretty much any berry. I am even considering using something like peaches. I think it is a very versatile recipe. It was quickly devoured at my house. Hmmm...I think we might still have some berries and whipping cream...I'll have to do something about that...

1 comment:

  1. I love this pie's name. It makes me want to sing... "Her name was Lola, she was a showgirl, with yellow feathers in her hair and her dress cut down to there..." Makes me miss her too, but I'm glad we have her favorite pie recipe to pass down the generations!

    ReplyDelete