Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Life is Sweet Crust

For some time now I have been wanting to attempt a sugar cookie-type crust, and now I have finally gotten around to doing it. I did some research trying to find a recipe, and I really could not find any that I liked. So, I used some different recipes as inspiration and went for it! Here is the result!

Ingredients
1 c. flour
1/3 c. sugar
dash of salt
1/3 c. shortening (Butter flavor--it really does make a difference!)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 egg

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 400F.

2. In food processor, combine flour, sugar, salt, and shortening. Mix until crumbly.
3. Add vanilla and egg.
4. Mix until dough forms into a ball.
5. Lay out a sheet of wax paper and flour well.

6. Form dough into a ball and flour well.

7. Roll out on wax paper.
8. Flip crust into waiting pie tin and press in to pan, crimping edges.
9. Prick crust several times with a fork. Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes.
10. Allow to cool and pour in your favorite filling!

The Verdict
This crust looked and smelled delicious! I made it for someone else, so I did not actually try it myself. It was definitely more difficult to roll out than an Easy Peasy Pie Crust. It was also much more tender, and thus, it was harder to keep the crust from "tearing" when I put it into the pan. But, I do think it adds a nice, sweet touch to the pie. I used it for Fresh is Best Pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment