Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Six Mile Dream Pie

I started dreaming about a blueberry pie in the shower after my 6 mile run on Sunday. Jim and I are training for a 1/3 marathon in August, and so far I am up to running 6 miles (without dying). I was pretty proud of myself after my big run, and thought I deserved a yummy pie to celebrate!

Ingredients:



1 cup sugar
2 egg yolks
1 Tbls quick cooking tapioca
1 pinch salt
1 Tbls lemon juice
1/4 cup milk
1 pint fresh blueberries
2 egg whites
1 Tbls flour
1 Tbls sugar

Directions:
(note: this recipe requires A LOT of mixing. Your arm may fall off from all the mixing (unless you are spoiled like me and have a kitchen aid stand mixer!). You have been warned...)

1. Make your Easy Peasy Pie crust. Set aside.

2. In a large bowl whip egg yolks on high speed until pale. Gradually add in the 1 cup of sugar, while mixing. Mix until the sugar is completely dissolved, as long as 15 minutes!

3. Mix in tapioca, salt, and lemon juice. Stir in milk.

4. Fold in blueberries.

5. In another bowl, whip egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold into blueberry mixture.

6. Combine 1 Tbls sugar and 1Tbls flour and sprinkle on top of the pie crust. This will help absorb extra juice as the pie bakes.

7. Pour blueberry mixture into your waiting pie crust.

8. Bake for 10 minutes in 425 degree oven, then reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake 50 more minutes or until pie is set.

The Verdict:
This pie was really, really good! Both Jim and my biggest little critic gave it two thumbs up! Jim said it was the best pie I had made in a long time! I actually made it using a Life is Sweet pie crust, but this pie had to bake so long, that particular crust got much too overdone. I really recommend using an easy peasy pie crust instead.

Blueberries and pie just go so well together! Yummy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment