Friday, August 21, 2009
Just Because Pie
This pie was a result of just being in the mood to make a pie. I had been wanting to try a lemon meringue simply because I had never made one, but I think they are delicious. So, I finally got around to making one...just because...
1-1/2 c. sugar
3 Tbsp. cornstarch
3 Tbsp. flour
dash of salt
1-1/2 c. hot water
3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
1/3 c. lemon juice
1 recipe Magical Meringue
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Make 1 Easy Peasy Pie Crust. Prick with fork. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until golden.
3. In a saucepan, mix sugar, cornstarch, flour, and salt.
4. Gradually add hot water, stirring constantly.
5. Cook and stir over high heat until mixture begins to boil.
6. Reduce heat; cook and stir for about 2 more minutes.
7. Stir small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks, then return to hot mixture.
8. Bring to boiling and cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
9. Add butter, and slowly add lemon juice, mixing well.
10. Pour into pastry shell.11. Allow to cool.
12. Cover with Magical Meringue, and seal edges.
13. Bake in 450F oven for 5-7 minutes until golden.
This pie turned out pretty good. I had no problem polishing off a slice. The meringue was beautiful, and the lemon flavor was not too overpowering. I do think it might have been nice to add a bit of grated lemon peel to the mixture, but I didn't have any handy. Regardless, this is a great pie to make for yourself or anyone else just because! Also, just a little tip for cutting is that it helps to use a knife that has been run under warm water. It cuts through the meringue easier.