Friday, August 21, 2009

Magical Meringue

I had been looking for the perfect meringue recipe. One that did not weep or shrink or get really sticky. And hopefully, it would be fairly simple, too. So, thanks to a wonderful woman at my church, I have officially found the recipe for the most magical meringue. Now, I will share it with you!

Ingredients
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
1/2 c. water
a few grains of salt
6 Tbsp. sugar
3 egg whites

Directions

1. Mix cornstarch, sugar, water, and salt. Cook until thick and clear. Cool slightly.
2. Beat egg whites until frothy.
3. Continue beating while slowly pouring cooked mixture over egg whites.
4. Continue beating about 5 minutes.
5. Cover cooled pie filling in shell with meringue. Seal edges to the crust.
6. Bake at 450F for 5-7 minutes, until golden.
7. Let cool before cutting.

The Verdict
Amazing! It was simple. It did not weep. It did not shrink. It did not get sticky. It looked beautiful. It was light. It was fluffy. It tasted great! I will never again use any other recipe for meringue. And, I didn't feel like I had to beat it until my arm fell off. Even though 5 minutes seems like a long time, I think I have done it for much, MUCH longer with other meringue recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment