Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Garden Fresh Tomato Pie

I love this time of year when fresh, vine ripened tomatoes are available in my garden! There is nothing better than a vine ripened tomato! My favorite summer sandwich is cream cheese and tomato on toasted bread. Mmmmmmmmm!!! When I saw this recipe I knew I had to make this pie. Cream cheese, tomatoes, AND BACON!! How could this pie possibly be anything but wonderful??

Ingredients:



2 That's Amore Pie Crusts
4-5 very ripe tomatoes
1/2 onion, thinly sliced and chopped
1 and 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
3 slices of cooked bacon, crumbled
3 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 tsp dried basil
salt and pepper to taste
Directions:
1. Make 2 That's Amore Pie Crusts. Place one in your pie pan. Save the other to top your pie.
2. Core each tomato, then cut each tomato into slices. Place the tomatoes in a colander in the sink as you cut (so some extra juice runs off), and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Allow the tomatoes to sit and drain while you mix up the cheese mixture.
3. Combine the cheese, bacon, and cream cheese. Mix completely.
4. Arrange a layer of tomatoes on your pie crust, sprinkle half of the onions on top and top with 1/2 tsp of basil. Repeat the layers.
5. Top with the cheese mixture, put your pie crust on top and seal the edges. Don't forget to cut a vent in the top crust!
6. Bake for 45 minutes at 425 degrees.
7. Allow to cool for 10 minutes and enjoy!!
The Verdict:
This pie was everything I hoped it would be. Cheesy tomato goodness baked in crust! Yum!!! My itty bitty critic ate an entire piece of this pie all by herself. She LOVED it! My husband had a second helping. My biggest little critic does not even like tomatoes and she even ate half a piece! I had a leftover piece for lunch today and I think it was even better as leftovers! So good!!!!
It does turn out a little bit runny (see the picture above), but it seems to 'thicken up' the longer it cools. I also think I would add some additional bacon next time.
If you have some fresh, vine ripened tomatoes to use up, make them into this pie! Delicious!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment