Monday, September 14, 2009

Goin' to a Potluck Pie

This pie is named as it is because quite frankly, you should not make this pie unless you have somewhere to take it! It is INCREDIBLY rich!!!! It is delicious, but it is so thick and sweet that you really need to cut it in lots of pieces and share it with some friends! In coming up with this pie recipe, I was trying to combine some of the most wonderful things--chocolate, peanut butter, and cheesecake. Believe it or not, I was not able to really find a chocolate peanut butter cheesecake recipe to even modify, so I just made my own. (Now, I am sure I am not the first one to try this killer combination, but I really just couldn't find a recipe anywhere!) So, here's how it goes...

Ingredients
1/2 c. milk chocolate wafers/chips
1/2 c. peanut butter
2 eggs
1-8oz. package cream cheese
1 tsp. vanilla
1-14oz. can sweetened condensed milk
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350F.


4. Divide cream cheese into 2 separate mixing bowls. Then, beat each until fluffy.
5. In one bowl, add peanut butter and 1/2 can of sweetened condensed milk to the cream cheese. Beat until well blended.
6. Add 1 egg and 1/2 tsp. vanilla.
7. Beat well.
8. In other bowl, add melted chocolate and 1/2 can of sweetened condensed milk to cream cheese. Beat until well blended.

9. Add 1 egg and 1/2 tsp. vanilla.
10. Beat well.
11. Pour 1/2 chocolate mixture into crust.
12. Top with peanut butter mixture.

13. Top with remaining chocolate mixture. (You can used a knife to kind of swirl the peanut butter and chocolate mixture a bit if you want.)

14. Bake at 350F for 30-35 minutes, or until center is set.

15. Allow to cool and refrigerate overnight covered with plastic wrap to prevent drying out.

The Verdict
As I mentioned above, this cheesecake is super rich. It was really good, though. I took it to a dinner at church, and it was easily devoured. I do think that I would change some things in the future. This pie was not exactly the flavor I had envisioned. I had hoped for more of a Reese's peanut butter cup type of blend, but the chocolate ended up overpowering the peanut butter a lot. In fact, several people at church had a debate as to whether or not they even thought there was peanut butter in it. So, next time I think instead of doing half chocolate-half peanut butter, I would do a 2 peanut butter to 1 chocolate ratio. All in all, this is a delicious cheesecake to share with all your friends! 
By the way, I do apologize for my lack of pictures of the end of the pie-making process. Apparently, I got distracted and forgot to take them! Oops!

No comments:

Post a Comment