Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Don't Burn Your Face Pie

The name of this pie is a caution because, yes, I did burn my face while making this pie. If you have made a homemade cream pie before, you may know that when cooking the filling, it sometimes "pops." Well, that is precisely what happened to me while making this pie. I was cooking the chocolate filling and stirring away to avoid scorching when suddenly POP! The hot chocolate cream filling came flying up and hit my lip! OW! My first instinct says, "lick it off!" So, then I have a burnt lip and a burnt tongue. Anyway, my lip was a bit sore for a few days and kind of scabbed over. It ended up looking kind of like a cold sore. Not fun! So, I caution you. Don't burn your face!

Ingredients
1 c. sugar
3 Tbsp. corn starch
1/4 tsp. salt
2 c. milk
3 egg yolks
3/4 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
1 tsp. vanilla
1 recipe of Magical Meringue

Directions

2. In a saucepan, combine sugar, corn starch, and salt.
3. Gradually, stir in milk and chocolate chips.
4. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture boils and thickens. (This is where you want to watch out!)

5. Separate eggs. Slightly beat egg yolks.
6. Stir some of hot mixture into egg yolks. Return to chocolate mixture.

7. Continue cook chocolate mixture for a couple more minutes. You may want to whisk the mixture in order to remove any lumps.
8. Remove from heat. Mix in butter and vanilla. Cool, and then pour into prepared crust.
9. Top with Magical Meringue and bake in 400F oven for 5-7 minutes or until meringue is golden.

The Verdict
The filling for this pie was delightful! I made the pie for someone else, so I didn't get to try the whole thing. However, I did have some filling left over that I put in a custard cup. I had it later, and it was really good, but really rich! I think this pie was probably worth burning my face, but I am definitely going to try to avoid doing that in the future. Also, I apologize for the lack of pictures toward the end of the pie-making process. I was a bit distracted tending to my burn...

No comments:

Post a Comment