Saturday, October 17, 2009

Happy Fall Y'all Pie

Happy Fall! I absolutely love this time of year! The changing leaves, the crisp air, the apples, the pumpkins, the butternut squash! It's a beautiful and yummy season!

This year I planted butternut squash in my garden for the first time. I was so excited to grow my own butternut squash and have garden fresh squash throughout the fall and winter. Unfortunately, only one squash plant grew and on it only three tiny squashes. I wanted to do something special with my three tiny homegrown squashes, so I decided to get pie inspired and make a squash pie!

Ingredients:


1 Easy Peasy Pie Crust + 1 tsp of cloves
2 cups cooked and mashed butternut squash
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ginger
pinch of salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 Tbls melted butter
3 eggs
2 cups hot milk

Directions:

1. My Mom taught me the best and easiest way to cook squash. Slice your squash in half, scoop out the seeds, and cover with plastic wrap. Cook in the microwave for 7-12 minutes until the insides are soft and squishy. You can now easily scoop the flesh away from the skin. Easy Peasy!


2. Make your Easy Peasy Pie Crust plus 1 tsp of cloves while your squash cooks. Set aside.

3. Mix the sugar and spices together.


4. Heat your milk in the microwave (I did about 3 minutes). Add the milk, butter, squash, and eggs to the sugar mixture and mix well. It's very soupy.


5. Pour into your waiting crust.


6. Very carefully, put the pie in the oven and bake at 425 degrees for 45 minutes. This pie filling is extremely liquidy. I actually spilled pie filling all over the inside of my oven, because I tend to be klutzy like that. I thought I my oven might catch on fire, but it didn't thankfully. My crust did get over brown on the edges due to the spill-over though.

7. I also had extra pie filling left over, so I made 4 little custard cups of filling out of the extra. I baked them the same amount of time as the pie.


The Verdict:

As you can see, my pie got a bit over done on the edges due to my klutziness, but we tell and show it how it is here at Pie Inspired. I'll try to be less of a klutz next time and the pie will be a little prettier.
This pie was really, really good! Number one, I made it out of a very vitamin rich vegetable so I think it can actually be considered healthy! :-) I also like that it used milk (skim milk, to be precise) rather than heavy cream. Number two, this pie is very versatile. I think you could easily substitute sweet potatoes or pumpkin for the squash and it would be equally as good. Number 3, it was really easy to put together! Number 4, ginger is my favorite spice to use when I cook and this pie had ginger in it. It really added to the pie to make it have a wonderful flavor.
I actually meant to use a cup of brown sugar instead of half a cup of brown and half a cup of white. Unfortunately, we only had half a cup of brown in the house, so I improvised. Next time I will probably use all brown sugar instead.

This is a great fall pie! Happy Fall!!

1 comment: