Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Upon Request Pie

I had a request from a friend for a raisin pie. Raisin pie?!?!?! Really? I'll be honest. I like raisins, but the idea of a raisin pie does not sound terribly appealing to me. Nonetheless, I decided I would attempt a raisin cream pie in order to satisfy my friend's request. So, here it is!

Ingredients
4 Tbsp. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1 c. raisins
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. sugar
3 egg yolks
2 c. milk
1/4 c. water
1/2 tsp. lemon extract

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 400F.

2. Prepare 1 Easy Peasy Pie Crust. Prick the crust several times with a fork and bake for about 10-15 minutes or until golden.

3. Blend together sugar, flour, egg yolks, and salt. Add milk and vanilla.
4. Mix raisins with water and heat slowly, covered, for about 5 minutes.
5. Cook milk and sugar mixture until thick and creamy, stirring constantly to avoid scorching.
6. Add raisin mixture. Cool 3 minutes.
7. Add lemon mixture and stir well.

8. Pour into cooled pie shell.

The Verdict
Although I was a bit skeptical, I think this pie turned out pretty well. There was a bit of leftover filling which I tried. I was pleasantly surprised by the flavor. I was afraid the raisins would be overpowering, but I didn't find that to be the case. I think the lemon extract really adds a lot to the cream filling. Also, I think you could put meringue on top of this pie (so you can use the whole egg and not just the yolks). All in all, if I got another request, I would happily make this pie!

No comments:

Post a Comment