Saturday, March 13, 2010

Don't Knock It Until You Try It Pie

So the other day I was thumbing through my Food Network Magazine and saw that there was a recipe for avocado pie. Ummmm, OK. It sounded kind of weird, but I was intrigued. Jim and I love avocados (like in guacamole and on tacos), but in pie? I just had to try it!

Ingredients:

1 Graham Goodness pie crust
2 medium ripe avocados
1 8 ounce package of cream cheese (at room temperature)
1 12 ounce can of sweetened condensed milk
2 1/2 Tbls lime juice
1 1/2 Tbls lemon juice
pinch of salt

Directions:

1. Make your Graham Goodness pie crust and set it aside to cool.

2. Half the avocados, scoop out the flesh and chop it. Put it in a mixing bowl.


3. Add in the cream cheese and mix with beaters until smooth.

4. Add the condensed milk, lime and lemon juices, and salt. Mix well.


5. Pour into waiting (cooled) pie crust and refrigerate 4 hours until ready to serve.


The Verdict:

This pie tasted just like key lime pie! It was so much easier than the last key lime pie I made. I would make this pie again in a heartbeat! It was delicious! Jim was quite skeptical of this pie. When I told him that I was going to make an avocado pie, he did his little nose crinkle thing. However, he was pleasantly surprised by how good this pie was and even went back for seconds! My itty bitty critic was also a huge fan (though my biggest little critic was not).

This pie is definitely worth a try! Don't knock it until you try it!!

2 comments:

  1. Reagan,

    I saw this recipe in the Food Network Magazine and crinkled my nose too.....although I love avacados....but in a pie????

    When I saw your blog (actually Lauren forwarded it to me), I knew that I had to try it.....WONDERFUL!!! :) My thought was that I'd take it to work and tell them that is was a key lime pie with a secret ingredient and see who could guess the secret ingredient.....but it may not get as far as the office!!
    Thanks!! Kris Bailey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr. Oz had a cheesecake recipe a few months back that uses avocados. May be try that one sometime??

    ReplyDelete