Saturday, June 19, 2010

Been Busy Living and Loving Life Pie

I realized recently that it has been several MONTHS since my last pie inspired blog post.

This is unacceptable!

While I may not have been busy making pie in the last couple of months, I can assure you that I have been very busy living and loving life! You may remember that last May I announced that we were starting an adoption journey to become a family of 5. We decided to adopt a baby boy or baby girl from Ethiopia.

Last month (May 7 to be exact), we received a referral for a beautiful, not quite 2 month old baby boy! I have never felt such joy as when I gazed into the beautiful face of our son. Our girls are completely ecstatic to have a baby brother. My biggest little critic prays for him before every meal and at bedtime. She put up pictures next to her bed. Every time my itty-bitty critic see his picture, she points at him and shouts 'Bro-her!! Bro-her!! Bro-her!!!'

We're currently waiting to receive a court date so we can travel to meet our son (and testify in Ethiopian court our desire to adopt him). We're hoping this will happen in July! The sooner the better, because we miss our boy something awful. Every day we get closer to bringing our boy home, but every day it is harder and HARDER to be away from him.

In any case, I have been busy living and loving life but as of today, I am re-committed to being inspired by pie! I promise not to take a 3 month hiatus again!

Ingredients:

1 Completely Perfect Crumble Topping
1 Easy Peasy Pie Crust
1 and 1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup corn starch
2 cups black raspberries
3 cups rhubarb
splash of vanilla extract (not pictured because I was out, but I really think this would be wonderful in it!)

Directions:

1. Make your Completely Perfect Crumble Topping. Set it aside.

2. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Make your easy peasy pie crust. Place it in your pie pan.

3. Put berries, rhubarb, sugar, corn starch, and vanilla together in a large mixing bowl. If you have a biggest little critic, have her (or him) mix the mixture until well blended.

4. Pour into waiting pie crust.


5. Sprinkle with completely perfect crumble topping.


6. Bake at 375 degrees for about 60 minutes. I actually filled my pie crust a bit too much so I had some spillage.


The Verdict:
This pie isn't the most beautiful pie in the world, but it was delicious!! We took it over to our friends' house for a bbq. Three out of four kids age 5 and under gave it two thumbs up. Four out of four adults sat around the table murmuring, 'Mmmmm, this is sooooo good.' We served it with a dollop of ice cream on top.
The tang from the rhubarb and the sweetness of the black raspberries is a perfect combination.
Make this pie, take a bite, and you too will be busy living and loving life!!

No comments:

Post a Comment