We love family movie night (even when they include cheesy, fairly lame cartoons). There is nothing better than cuddling on the couch with your favorite people, pizza, popcorn, and pie!
1 Easy Peasy Pie Crust
1 10 oz package blackberries partially thawed (reserve juice)
3 Tbls cornstarch
4 Tbls + 1/2 cup Sugar
2 Tbls Flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups milk
2 eggs (separated)
1 Tbls butter
1. Make your Easy Peasy pie crust and bake it at 375 degrees for 15 minutes (don't forget to prick it several times with a fork to avoid bubbles). Set it aside.
2. Drain the blackberries. You will need 1/2 cup juice (if you don't have a half cup of pure juice, add water to make it a half cup).
3. Combine 2 Tbls cornstarch and 1 Tbls sugar in a small saucepan. Slowly add the juice, and cook over low heat until it thickens.
4. Remove from heat and stir in blackberries.
5. Combine 1/2 cup sugar, flour, remaining cornstarch, and salt in the top of a double broiler (I don't have a real double broiler, so I used two sauce pans that fit within each other. Start boiling the water in the larger pan while you are making the blackberry mixture.).
6. Slowly add the milk and egg yolks. Then add the butter.
7. Place over the rapidly boiling water of the second pan. Cook until thick and smooth (about 7 minutes), stirring constantly.
9. Beat the egg whites at high speed until frothy. Gradually add the 3 Tbls of sugar, beating at high speed until stiff peaks form. (If you are spoiled rotten like me, you can use your stand mixer to do this step for you while you make the cream layer of this pie).
This pie was delicious! My meringue did not set up well (I probably did not beat it long enough to make stiff enough peaks--I had pizza dough to make and a baby boy demanding a bottle, so I had other priorities!). Next time I think I will try to make this pie with Magical Meringue instead.