Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Fake Me Out Pie

I made this pie for Thanksgiving (yes, I realize I am WAY behind on my blogging!). This darn pie came out of the oven liquidy in the middle (and I probably baked it 30 minutes longer than I thought I would have to!). It would not set up! Because it wasn't solid in the middle, my mom and I decided to put the thing out on the deck under our grill cover and make it a 'frozen ice cream pie' after it cooled for a bit (my freezer was full and it was cold enough outside to freeze pie!). After some intense Wii Party competition, I decided it was time to freeze it, but was surprised to see that the pie had hardened as it cooled! You Faked Me Out, you silly pie!

Ingredients:

1 Easy Peasy Pie crust
1 8 oz carton of sour cream
3/4 cup sugar
3 Tbls flour
pinch of salt
3 cups frozen black raspberries
Splash of vanilla extract

Directions:

1. Prepare you Easy Peasy Pie Crust. Bake 8 minutes at 450 degrees (don't forget to prick it with a fork in several places to avoid bubbling!).

2. Turn down the oven to 350 degrees. Combine sour cream, sugar, flour, salt and vanilla. Add the black raspberries and stir gently to combine. Pour into pre-baked crust.


3. Bake for 60 minutes and check to see if the middle is done. If not bake 10 more minutes or until set. Like I said, mine never did set completely. I took it out and it eventually set up just fine as it cooled. Cool on a wire rack for 2 hours and then refrigerate.


The Verdict:

This pie tasted very good, but it definitely was not a pretty pie. Even though it finally did set up, it was still pretty runny and soft. It tasted yummy, which is what I mostly care about and it was very simple to whip together quickly. Next time I might actually put it in the freezer and freeze it! It might taste pretty good as a frozen berry pie!

No comments:

Post a Comment