Monday, January 10, 2011

'Tis the Season Pie

I attend a wine club once a month with a friend. It's super fun! We get to try several different wines and have a fancy dinner. Last month we had an eggnog custard for dessert. The host of the wine club said that she had considered making eggnog pie instead, and I was instantly intrigued. Eggnog PIE?? It sounded pretty strange to me and I am definitely not an eggnog fan, but I was inspired and I just had to try! I found a recipe online and 'Tis the Season Pie was born!

Ingredients:

1 Graham Goodness Pie Crust (I admit it, I cheated and used a purchased graham cracker crust this time--hey, it's the holidays and you need to do what you need to do!)
1 big package of cook and serve vanilla pudding (NOT instant)
1 and 1/2 cups eggnog
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/2-1 tsp ground nutmeg (I like a little more nutmeg).

Directions:

1. Make and bake your graham goodness pie crust. Set aside and cool completely.

2. In a saucepan, combine the pudding packet, eggnog, and nutmeg. Mix well. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat. Transfer to a bowl, cover, and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled (mine sat all night).



3. In a cold metal mixing bowl (trust me, this makes a difference), whip the cream to soft peaks.



4. Remove the pudding from the refrigerator, and beat until smooth. Fold in the whipped cream.


5. Spoon into baked pie shell. Sprinkle with additional nutmeg, if desired. Refrigerate 4 hours , or until set (4 hours was enough for me).


The Verdict:


OK I admit it. I did not think I was going to like this pie. I do not like eggnog. I can never choke down an entire glass during the holidays. My mom, however, loves eggnog, so I decided I would make this pie at her house for Christmas. If no one else liked this pie, surely she would!


To my complete an utter amazement, I absolutely LOVED this pie! Seriously, as I am writing this post, I am craving another piece! I wish I could still find eggnog at the store because I would make this pie again in a heartbeat! It was delicious!!!


The eggnog was not overpowering at all. There was just enough of a hint of eggnog that you knew it was eggnog pie, but the vanilla and whipped cream gave this pie a lovely taste and texture. The texture and thickness of eggnog is what bothers me, not the taste, so this pie was perfect for me.


Give this pie a try for your next holiday gathering. 'Tis the Season!!

No comments:

Post a Comment