Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Missionary Budget Pie

Ok, so after an extended absence, I am back. I made pie. I took pictures. I am blogging. I apologize for not being better about making pie, but it is not as easy to make pie in Cambodia as one might imagine. I am calling this pie "Missionary Budget Pie," but it is certainly not the cheapest meal that we could make. I do think it is one of the cheaper options for an American-style meal, though. So, here it is. And, I will tell you how I made it...and then give you lazy American substitutes that are affordable in America but not Cambodia.

Ingredients
1 Easy Peasy Pie Crust (If you don't have a food processor, you can use the same recipe, just use a fork to cut in the shortening and form the dough into a ball yourself. A little extra water may be necessary.)
3 cups-ish mashed potatoes
1 to 1-1/4 c. milk
1 cube bouillon
3 to 3-1/2 Tbsp. flour
2-ish Tbsp. butter or margarine
2-ish c. mixed vegetables, chopped (carrot, green beans, peas, corn, onion)
bay leaf
salt, pepper, & rosemary, to taste
(Not all ingredients are pictured. Sorry!)

And, I want to note that if you can pull off to the side of the road and get some corn on the way home, that would really be best.
This gentleman would be happy to accommodate you, I am sure.

Ok, I will be serious now.

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 400F.

2. Prepare 1 Easy Peasy Pie Crust.

3. Make your mashed potatoes. (I used 3 medium to large size potatoes. Peel and boil them until soft. Mash with a fork, adding milk and butter until a good consistency. Season to taste.)

4. In a large saucepan, heat a tablespoon of olive oil. Saute onions for about a minute. Add other uncooked or frozen vegetables with enough water to cover. (I didn't put the corn in because it was already cooked.)
5. Boil vegetables for about 5 minutes, just enough to soften slightly but have them still be crisp.

6. In another saucepan, melt butter.
7. Add the flour and make a paste.

8. Stir in the milk and bouillon.
9. Stir constantly over medium heat, adding seasonings, until thick.
10. Drain vegetables. Add gravy to vegetables and stir to coat vegetables.
11. Pour vegetable mixture into prepared pie crust.

12. Dollop mashed potatoes on top of vegetable mixture.
13. Spread potatoes to cover the full surface and seal all the edges.
14. Bake for approximately 30 minutes in preheated oven, or until potatoes begin to brown. (You could turn on the broiler for the last minute or two of cooking if you want your potatoes really brown.)
15. Let cool for a few minutes. Slice and serve!
The Verdict
This is Midwestern cooking, friends. It was delicious. It was easy. It was hearty. It would be great for a cold, blustery day, even though my roommate and I ate it on a hot, humid day. There are a few things I would do differently next time. The crust was still a bit gooey in the middle, so next time I would pre-bake my crust for about 10-15 minutes before putting in the filling. I also think I would broil it for a minute or two at the end to get the potatoes more brown and crisp on top, but that is totally a personal preference. As far as substitutes to make this easier and faster, you could definitely use a bag of frozen mixed vegetables. I would recommend thawing them in the microwave, which I don't have, and draining off all the excess water. Instead of making your own gravy/sauce, you could use a can of creamed soup. I think I would go with cream of celery, but you could really use anything you wanted. You could also add meat to this. I didn't because neither my roommate nor I are big meat-eaters. But, I think it would be good with shredded chicken or turkey if your family is carnivorous.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! I espeically loved the picture of the corn merchant (and is he wearing a mask!? How considerate of him to keep his germs to himself!). This pie looks delicious and I can't wait to try the lazy American version! :-)

    ReplyDelete