(makes 2 pies)
1-1/2 C granulated sugar
1 t salt
2 (13 oz) cans evaporated milk
2-2/3 C water
2/3 C cornstarch
6 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
4 t vanilla
Whipped cream/mini chocolate chips (optional, for topping)
1. Make your Free From the Gluten that Binds pie crusts. Set aside.
2. In a large saucepan, combine sugar, salt, evaporated milk, water, and cornstarch; stir mixture vigorously with a fork to prevent the cornstarch from clumping. Heat mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it reaches a boil and thickens.
3. Reduce heat to low and add chocolate. Stir quickly until chocolate melts. Remove pan from heat and stir in vanilla.
4. Pour filling into prepared crusts.
5. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before adding toppings and serving.
Oh my goodness! Gluten free is DELICIOUS! :-) This pie was silky and creamy and chocolaty. Wonderful. The Free From the Gluten that Binds pie crust tasted like a real graham cracker crust (though the consistency was different--more like regular pie crust-only denser). I highly recommend this pie for all of you out there who are cutting out gluten. Really, really good!
Oh and you should head over to Melissa's blog, Free from the gluten that binds, for lots and lots of other yummy gluten free recipes as well! Yum!