Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Stay Another Day Pie

A week ago my grandpa and my great aunt Mary came to visit us. Grandpa actually came to attend the World Pork Expo, which happens to be in Des Moines, but since we are so close he stayed at our place. Aunt Mary came along for the ride, though she was not so enthusiastic about the World Pork Expo and opted to hang out at our house instead. Grandpa wanted to leave in the late afternoon on Saturday, but I hoped to convince him to stay until Sunday. And I know his weakness...pie and pork chops! I promised grilled pork chops and a pie for dessert if they would stay another day.

It worked! :-) Love you, Grandpa!!!!

Ingredients:


1 Easy Peasy Pie Crust
3/4 cup sugar (or 1 cup if your berries don't already have sugar in them)
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1/3 cup vanilla yogurt
1 tsp vanilla
3 cups blackberries
1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
3 Tbls butter softened

Directions:

1. Make your Easy Peasy Pie crust. Set it aside. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

2. Mix sugar, eggs, sour cream, yogurt, and vanilla until smooth. Fold in blackberries.


3. Spoon into pie crust.


4. Bake 30-40 minutes or until set in the middle. Combine flour, brown sugar, and butter until crumbly. Sprinkle on the top of the pie. Bake 10 more minutes.


5. When crumbles are brown, remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.


Verdict:


Confession. The recipe I found online called for 1 and 1/3 cup of sour cream, but I didn't have enough and decided to supplement with yogurt. It was AMAZING! I totally found a secret ingredient! :-) And now you know too!


Aunt Mary kept telling me that I should enter this pie in the fair because it would win the blue ribbon. Grandpa told me my pie crust was better than the crust from local pie shop he always passes on his way to Indianapolis. (Thanks, Grandpa! That means a lot coming from a pie connoisseur such as yourself!!) :-)


This pie was delicious and so, so simple to make! I will be making this one again, for sure!!

No comments:

Post a Comment